Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me how to remove the wihshield wiper motor an a 94 Caprice? I got the 3 bolts on the firewall off, but I need to get behind the motor and unbolt the motor from teh arms and am not sure how. Also does our cars have relay's that could go bad for the wiper motor? My wiper motor will work a few days then blow the fuse in a never endng cycle. Thanks

------------------
Jason Labay Akron, Ohio
94 Caprice 9C1 LT1

[This message has been edited by SP370 (edited October 01, 2000).]

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jason - Here's the procedure as per my FSM:

First you must remove the wiper arm assembly:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Remove or Disconnect

1. Wiper arm hose from nozzle of plastic hose assembly.
2. Protective cap.
3. Lift wiper arm assembly and insert a sutible pin or pop rivet completely through the two hloes located next to the pivot arm.
4. Nut.
5. Arm from linkage drive shaft using a battery terminal puller.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now for the wiper motor:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Remove or Disconnect

1. Negative battery cable
2. RH wiper arm and blade assembly (see above).

IMPORTANT: To prevent possible windshield damage, the LH cowl vent screen must be removed BEFORE the RH cowl vent screen is removed.

3. LH and RH cowl vent screens.
4. Linkage access hole cover screws.
5. Linkage access hole cover.
6. Loosen two nuts (on wiper motor crank arm), then disengage wiper motor crank arm.
7. Electrical connectors.
8. Three screws (holding assy. to firewall).
9. Wiper motor assembly, guiding crank arm through hole.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RE: your question about a relay... there is a "wiper position park relay" which is really more of a switch than a relay. It is located inside the wiper motor housing, so you'll have to remove the motor. The internal componants can be serviced, but I would go ahead and replace the whole thing as long as the cost is not prohibitive.

If you are going to replace the motor (or any internal parts), be sure to check w/ Dal on the price before you spend a small fortune at your local dealer. If you need Dal's contact info let me know & I'll give it to you.

HTH

------------------
Jay - HOTSS
93 DGGM Caprice "SS"

My Site: www.geocities.com/caprice_ss_93

[This message has been edited by FakeSS (edited October 02, 2000).]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay,

Sorry I haven't thanked you sooner as I just got back in town from a business trip. The information you provided is excellent.
Luckily I live a few miles away from Dal and will stop on over to get a new motor if I can't get this one fixed

------------------
Jason Labay Akron, Ohio
94 Caprice 9C1 LT1

1 - 3 of 3 Posts