1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
You should pull the cover behind the turn signal lever, and remove the wiring connector before pulling on the turn signal arm for removal of the arm. You can only remove it if the wiper speed is in the off position. You also have to remove the clock spring which the instructions do not cover. There is a circlip at the base of the clockspring.

You do not have to remove the turn signal actuating arm from the cancel cam.

Since you won't be going any further into the column, I do not have any more updates or warnings.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I figure I'll tighten up the tilt while im in there. Wish it wasn't balls cold out!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Why replacing? I only ask because I dont have any wiper washers, the wipers work good, justmo washer fluid coming through...

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Why replacing? I only ask because I dont have any wiper washers, the wipers work good, justmo washer fluid coming through...
Apparently you have a different problem than he does. There are a number of issues that could cause your problem, and if you want to fix it, you should start a thread about it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just didn't want another thread on here if it was being answered, I am sorry I still need to check things on mine before I jump in to a whole thread

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine the wipers wouldn't stop and stock just spinnin.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry. When I got my car wired up I turned on key and wipers started. Wouldnt quit. Moved stalk around and wiper control was gone. Had to unplug them til I could get new switch. I'll try to do write up with pics since ours is just little different.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
The problem is probably the black box on the wiper motor. There are 4 torx screws holding it on. If you can not get one from a junk yard, I have a couple listed in my for sale thread.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well switch wouldn't click for speed positions on column. Just spun. No speed change or off position.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bad news. Got into it today and column kinda self destructed. Ball bearings on floor and miscellaneous metal pieces. Getting new column this weekend. Atleast I was right bout switch :) wipers finally in OFF/resting postion

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
94 and later will bolt in. Use your original lock and key for the VATS to work.

If you do not like the "push brake to shift" just leave the connector off of the solenoid on the column.

Keep the good parts of the original column, you never know when you may need them.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Hitting up pullapart this wknd. Say they have a 96

·
Registered
24 Posts
The problem is probably the black box on the wiper motor. There are 4 torx screws holding it on. If you can not get one from a junk yard, I have a couple listed in my for sale thread.
On my 96 Impala, the wipers can't be turned off unless I spin the wiper switch so that it's halfway between the off position and the first speed setting, kind of shorting the system I guess. Also, the intermittent delay does not work at all. Do you think the problem is in the black box too? If so I'd gladly fix it!

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
On my 96 Impala, the wipers can't be turned off unless I spin the wiper switch so that it's halfway between the off position and the first speed setting, kind of shorting the system I guess. Also, the intermittent delay does not work at all. Do you think the problem is in the black box too? If so I'd gladly fix it!
That is almost always the problem. One correction, there are only 3 screws holding it on. I have a number of them on hand. Check my parts for sale thread in the Parts For Sale/Wanted section.

The spot between the two positions may be a "no contact" position.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts