Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but didn't find much about it. What i mean by wire tucking is basically cleaning up the engine bay harness by rerouteing it so it can be seen only when it is at a connector, and generally just make the harness look better. i have been thinking about doing it and was wondering if anyone had tried it before?

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I did a search but didn't find much about it. What i mean by wire tucking is basically cleaning up the engine bay harness by rerouteing it so it can be seen only when it is at a connector, and generally just make the harness look better. i have been thinking about doing it and was wondering if anyone had tried it before?

Awwwwww, the import guys do that (or attempt to ) do that all the time, it looks kinda tough.

Honestly I wouldnt even go through all that.

Its alot of wires to move around.

But im interested in the idea, so............

Subscribed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got a few projects to get out of the garage then i will start. i am also going to make it so that i can disconnect the harness at the firwall on the passenger side, found some 15 pin connectors to use from painless wiring and loom.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a Volkswagen tech i am use to dealing with harnesses, just gotta take your time and label everything first then decide how to hide it and the best route. should be interesting and tedious. i will take lots of pics and do a write up when i am done.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I'm a Volkswagen tech i am use to dealing with harnesses, just gotta take your time and label everything first then decide how to hide it and the best route. should be interesting and tedious. i will take lots of pics and do a write up when i am done.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
disconnect the harness at the firwall on the passenger side, found some 15 pin connectors to use from painless wiring and loom.
In the passenger side footwell, there are 3 connectors and a vacuum line that connect the engine harness to the dash and body harness. Disconnect these and 2 screws, and the harness comes out intact. IMO , No need for an extra connector.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice thanks i have the dash out of another caprice and didn't even notice it when i was fooling with the harness cutting some stuff. big help thanks, will they fit out of the firewall hole once the firewal lsection is loose?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
In the passenger side footwell, there are 3 connectors and a vacuum line that connect the engine harness to the dash and body harness. Disconnect these and 2 screws, and the harness comes out intact. IMO , No need for an extra connector.

thanks for the pic, can i pull the harness from the firewall after doing this? i need to cover all the wires while the motor is out

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yes. The connectors will fit through the firewall. That's how they put them in.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hiding Wiring??

A few of years ago I had my friends SS at the house for a few weeks preparing for the Nationals at INDY. with most of the front end stripped off I got to looking at just the wiring harness that goes in front of the radiator support. If you look at the front of your SS with the hood open: the wire loom hanging down in front of the radiator) I de-pinned all the connectors drilled a hole in the underside of the radiator support and ran the entire harness - including headlight relay harness through the inside of the core support. When it was all said and done it came out nice but unless someone points out the fact that it isn't there no one notices, and it was a PITA!
Might be more worthwhile on a dedicated show car but for me - NEVER AGAIN!

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Guess what guys. I started a wire tuck.

Or a wire relocation if you want to say.

I have a 92 caprice wagon, and its pretty fun to do it. My boys doing a tuck to his honda, and it looks pretty good. I was looking on an import site, and wish I could do it like some of the pics they post OMG.

I havent cut any wire just moved them, its not that hard at all.

The problem im having is the AC and Fuel relays, IDK where to move them.

The Map and wiper motor are gonna be tough too.

I have my inner fenders out, and im cleaning the frame, and painting everything under the hood flat black.

http://www.vadriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309041&highlight=Wire+tuck

BYB cell pics FTW.

If you look close you can see the wire loom in the fender, it just fits right there.

Tempted to leave the inner fenders off.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Morethanjake did you eliminate your A/C? That looks clean as hell.
I did my 78 Grand Prix i ran all the wires from the firewall down into the frame and up and out behind the bumper.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I started this thread awhile back. I finally got started on mine wire tuck. I pulled the motor out and then the wiring harness. the harness is not as big as i had expected, I plan on moving the PCM somewhere else and i have already deleted the a/c system, my compressor was dieing anyway. I guess i should start taking to some pics of whnat i am doing, i was thinking about putting the relay panel under the cowl panel near the air box inlet. but i may just tuck it under the dash. not sure yet. got alot of cleaning to do in the engine bay first and alittle painting.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Yep im still working on mine, its not going to be a full tuck, especially since I havent started the car, but I cant wait to get it finished, and also see your set up.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
my way was easier..

except for all the polyurethane..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.