Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for the Tri-Y crowd. How close is too close for the main wiring harness? I just installed the passenger side, after several test fits.

I feel comfortable with the clearance for the AC and heater hoses, but the harness just seems so close.

What do you guys think? Can you post some pics of yours for comparison? Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Glad you showed a pic. For that area I believe I just took my hand and bent the metal bracket back toward the firewall.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course! Not sure why I didn’t think of that. Thank you!! Plenty of room now.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Sure thing. Any time. It's amazing what can be accomplished with just a little careless action in the absence of any well thought out methodical planning.

Now in exchange can you point me to some posts with a little more info on that Cady of yours?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Glad you got the bracket/harness away from the header. You don't want to rub through the ceramic because it would expose the metal and rust could become an issue. if it did wear through, get some hi-temp clear coat and spray the area. VHT makes some in a satin and a gloss.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure thing. Any time. It's amazing what can be accomplished with just a little careless action in the absence of any well thought out methodical planning.

Now in exchange can you point me to some posts with a little more info on that Cady of yours?
Well, not much out here lately. It’s been sitting for 8 years and I’m just now slowly bringing her back to life. Standard Impala bolt-ons, beefed up trans, 373/posi, suspension and brakes (converted rear drums to discs).

Used to run low 15’s. I did have a few 14.9x passes. I’ll have it back out this year.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you got the bracket/harness away from the header. You don't want to rub through the ceramic because it would expose the metal and rust could become an issue. if it did wear through, get some hi-temp clear coat and spray the area. VHT makes some in a satin and a gloss.
Hey, Dan! Thanks for the tips! ?

I just started it last night. I moved the bracket (and went over everything 15 times) before I fired it up. No rubbing or clearance issues whatsoever. Headers and cats bolted right up, fit like a glove.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
After almost 10 years the most memorable things were the brake and A/C lines. Each took bending just a little, and I used some temperature tape on the brake line closest to the header. I noticed two years back the A/C line required re-adjusting at the A-arm as it had cut through the insulation but visually masked that the line was a RCH from also chafing. Edit: And perhaps redressing some wiring low on the driver side (oil level? O2?)

And appreciate the update on the Cady. It's always gratifying to hear others letting their projects die on the vine as mine has. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts