Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a roof mounted 10" monitor and 2 7" headrest monitors, and possibly a head unit flip out 7" monitor. Are all monitors compatible with each other? How do you actually mount a monitor to the ceiling, need to weld? I may just start with a 10" roof monitor but defineately want to make sure its compatable with the others. I've seen some for under $100 and others for a lot higher. Whats the difference? TFT screen the way to go?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First put in the dash monitor if it has dvd it will be your source and should have a video out put which will run 2 monitors off a spltter if more than 2 use a 12 volt video amp($40) to do a drop take the headliner down mount ply wood to crossbar in roof by dome light slighty bigger than drop run your wires(video, power) to roof depending on drop cut access to wires and wood in headliner measure 85 times before you take a knife to it follow monitor instructions

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
be careful of the cheap stuff, the off axis viewing is HORRIBLE.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want the off axis view to still be fairly clear, but at the same time, i'm not looking to spend $3000 on all of it. Thinking either 2 rear drop downs from roof and another screen in the head unit or 2 in the headrests and a drop down where my "ticket" light is.

Does the 12V video amp just "up" the signal? Worth getting one anyways with the set-up im looking into? Basically i'm just screwed plywood into the bracing on the roof and then mounting to that huh?(sounds easier that i bet it will be ;) )

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed:
I want the off axis view to still be fairly clear, but at the same time, i'm not looking to spend $3000 on all of it. Thinking either 2 rear drop downs from roof and another screen in the head unit or 2 in the headrests and a drop down where my "ticket" light is.

Does the 12V video amp just "up" the signal? Worth getting one anyways with the set-up im looking into? Basically i'm just screwed plywood into the bracing on the roof and then mounting to that huh?(sounds easier that i bet it will be ;) )
I would do one dropdown(10") or two 7" Headrest monitors. The dropdown would be easier for you to install.

Do a decent screen up front. You could get the Jensen vm9510 in dash DVD/CD/AM/FM, etc... for a decent price.

You should only need a video amplifier for more than 2 screens

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Impholla, nice suggestion. That Jensen unit is right along the lines i'm looking for. Found em for abut $510 brand new shipped. How's the viewing angle on them? Definately set on a head unit monitor/dvd and 2 rear drop downs for the kids :D that i can leave on while the cars in motion. I'm thinking 7" possible 10" drop downs in the rear.

So your saying with the 12V video amp that i could run a unit like the jensen one AND 2 monitors without needing one? or 2 screens total?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can run two monitors off the jensen w/o the video amp and two drops would be decent for the kids ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed:
Impholla, nice suggestion. That Jensen unit is right along the lines i'm looking for. Found em for abut $510 brand new shipped. How's the viewing angle on them? Definately set on a head unit monitor/dvd and 2 rear drop downs for the kids :D that i can leave on while the cars in motion. I'm thinking 7" possible 10" drop downs in the rear.

So your saying with the 12V video amp that i could run a unit like the jensen one AND 2 monitors without needing one? or 2 screens total?
Can you give a link or model number for the Jensen unit?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jensen vm9510 in dash DVD/CD/AM/FM[/QB]
Just do a google search, or check ebay. It's a really nice looking unit for around $500. I'm definately considering it since i usually spend about $300 every time i get a new radio anyways. For $200 more i'll have the 7" screen and dvd player though :D

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The screen is awesome on it, a million pixels if I remember - same as the Alpine. Make sure you get a warranty though, the first batch of them had some quarks....

A video amp only boosts the signal if it is being split too many ways, so you probably wont need it.. if it makes you feel better, get it ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LoL, so try best buy, circuit city for one, and not ebay then ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anybody have any pics during an install of an overhead flip down screen? post em up :D

Also, is there a way i can put some wireless headphones on my son so he can watch spongebob on the rear monitors and still listen to music and keep the front monitor from being "ON" while i'm driving?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
only if the rear monitor has audio inputs with infared out usually looks like a couple l.e.d.'s behind a redish cover and sometimes only work with the manu. headphones or you can get a universal unit same concept

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, well wireless headphones for the 2 rear monitors woudld be nice but as long as i could still use headphones for them, it wouldnt matter if they're wireless. Will i still be able to listen to the radio through the speakers in the car while the rear monitors are being watched though?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is jensen really any good? i thought they make crap???

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by 93formula:
is jensen really any good? i thought they make crap???
I've had jensen speakers and and a couple amps in the past that were decent for the money. I've also had a 12" house sub for years that's pretty dam loud. This head unit i'm looking at seems more than decent from reading up on it, but i'll see if thats what i'm going to get once i see it in person.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jensen was bought out 2or3 years ago by Audiovox another company considered to be crap but both are very good Audiovox started in car lcd tv's so they know what they're doing the jensen 9410 doesnt have a separate box so it would be easier the sound and picture quality are very nice to my own suprise I just sold and installed the 9410 in a Cavalier not bad at all

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Street Platinum:
cashmoney speed yes you can watch the monitors
So rear monitors can be watched or ps2 played while i have the front monitor off/closed and listening to the radio through the speakers in the car then? Or would i have to basically just install the jensen unit in the dash and have another separate video set up with the 2 rear monitors along with a dvd player or play station for the back seat? Or just wire all 3 monitors to the head unit and either watch a dvd OR listen to the radio?

Like this, i'm driving and listening to the radio with the screen off(spongebob dvd in the headunit) and kids are in the back watching spongebob with the headphones on. Is this possible? Then the car is parked and a dvd is playing, but will it play on all 3 screens? And anyway to hook a ps2 into the system? :confused:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts