Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am no pro what so ever when it comes down to doing electrical, but I have a 96' 9c1 caprice and I am interested in adding the rear reading lamps, the light up sun visors as well as the auto-dim mirror that has map lights from out of a fully loaded b-body.

Is there a simple way of doing this? I have the roof mounted wiring that connects all 5 of these just not sure where I would splice it to?? I am not even sure if this is possible without some serious modification so I'd appreciate any info before I tackle this issue.

****Also has anyone done the mod where the stereo stays on for 10 minutes after the car is shut off???
thanks-

· Registered
11,648 Posts
The wiring harness comes up the B pillar on the driver side. If you have the connector on your new harness, it should just plug in at the base of the pillar.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wiring harness comes up the B pillar on the driver side. If you have the connector on your new harness, it should just plug in at the base of the pillar.
Okay so this is a plug in thing....no need to cut or splice any wires....thanks for this info...

· Registered
880 Posts
Do the RMW's have the harness there, too? I've been thinking of doing the same to the marshmallow...

· Registered
486 Posts
Just curious where is this mystery connector that the roof harness plugs in to? And what does it look like? On my previous car I retrofitted in the coathook lights, auto-dim mirror, and the sunvisor lights. I just tapped into the wires that were already there as in 9C1's they have a constant hot wire for the police dome light(orange wire needed for sunvisor and coathook lights) and the switched overhead light wire(white for the coathook lights). I just needed to run the "green" wire for the reverse mirror cutout signal and a black wire for a solid ground(though if you still have the police overhead light you can use the ground for that). - Peter

· Registered
55 Posts
The harness/wire is on the Driver's side B-pillar, in the vicinity of the seat belt retractor. Just unplug the wire that's already there and plug in the new one. It's best to trace the wire from the domelight down or you might miss it. There is a harness there you just have to keep tracing the wire. Mine (9C1) was so long, the excess wire was stuffed under the rubber mat, inside the plastic housing along the door sill.

· Registered
113 Posts
Maybe this will help:

If you can't find the harness, just ground the lamps to the dark blue/stripe one, that's how I did mine because the police force that had my car clipped the harness in several places. I was thinking the exact same thing about the mirror with the compass and ambient temps, I have the wiring schematic for that too if you like...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.