Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been browsing ebay and amazon and I have yet to find one that either I liked or that it fit the m16 thread pattern.

Show me your knob!!!

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
I have this one. It will need so modification of the shift lever, possibly welding, but it will all be under the boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have this one. It will need so modification of the shift lever, possibly welding, but it will all be under the boot.
**** i thought this would be a direct fit, how much modification is needed? this is the exact one i'm about to get

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Been browsing ebay and amazon and I have yet to find one that either I liked or that it fit the m16 thread pattern.

Show me your knob!!!
They sell adapters for the threads.

I think the issue is that you want wood.

Also if you go aftermarket for your shifter (like MGW) you have at least two thread options to choose from.

Or like above...corvette shifters aren't threaded. They have a set screw in the side that keeps them in place.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
IDK what size that Vette shift knob is but modifying the end of whatever shift stick, or even making a new one, is doable.

I have a Tremac knob that came with a few "adapter" threaded inserts so it could be used on a few different size threaded sicks

If the Vette one is not threaded but just has some shaped end with a flat side for a set screw than I would think a stick could be "modified" (machined) to accept it

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
The Vette shifter shaft. I?m thinking of cutting the end off and welding it to the regular shift lever. Or I could cut the lever and GLUE the knob on it...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the knob is not threaded, and it's some sort of plastic/composite

I can epoxy it in place but I would rather have it not be that permanent in case I need to take it off (shift boot, console removal etc)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I've heard of people gluing it.

Does it fit over the threads? If so you're good. Just drill a hole to use the set screw in the side.

There used to be a company that sold threaded C6 knobs for use on the C5. I guess if you've got some patience and a the right size tap you could do it yourself too.

Or just buy a C6 shifter assembly and use that.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
This is the shifter that I use:

I'd suggest the smaller one as the larger one is huge. I bought this shift knob over a decade ago and it still looks great. I had to drill and tap it myself. Not a big fan of wood shift knobs.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
That's the same type of shifter on the V1s. I had debated cutting the end down and cutting threads so that I could add my own shifter but then fixing the boot would be another project so I kept it stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts