Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to have my wheel fixed,its just the factory leather and its gettin rough,has anyone put a grant gt on? i don't care for the air bag,but i'd really like to have similar to an escalade wheel with the wood upper and lower and leather sides,show your wood wheels,thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
There is an aftermarket company that can take your stock wheel and make it look very nice with a woodgrain overlay, etc. I can't find the name now, and they're not cheap ($200 maybe?) but they were VERY nice looking steering wheels.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
There are some nice ones available. To put an aftermarket wheel on the car, you need an adapter. Grant wheels have 5 bolts, the Nardi and MOMO styles have 6 bolts, and the LeCarras have 9 bolts. You can get some nice wheels on ebay for less than at the local stores. I will post my pics later, because I am at school.

Grant makes their own adapters, and the others are available from different vendors. The NRGs are probably the nicest, but apple289 (on ebay) makes one comparable to the Grant with a dual (Nardi/MOMO) pattern 6 hole adapter. The apple289 is cheaper than the Grant as well. Apple289 uses the same 3 bolt base as the Grant, but they make alternate style adapters. I have an NRG, and they are the easiest to install.

Installation of the Grant and apple289 require that you remove the tabs on the inside of the steering column bezel that locate the top of the clockspring. You must remove the clockspring to use the aftermarket wheels.

If you dispense with the airbag, you have to put a 2 ohm 10 watt resistor across the connector under the dash. 2 1 ohm 10 watts in series or 2 4 ohm 10 watts in parallel will work. I got them at Radio Shack. Make sure they do not short to anything.

Installation is pretty straight forward. You can get horn buttons from Grant with the logo on it, and they can be adapted to the Nardi and MOMO wheels with a large plastic washer to fill the gap between the horn button bezel and the opening for the horn in the wheel. I made one from a flat piece of dash support from a JY car. I think MOMO makes a blank horn button as well, and it will fit both the MOMO and Nardi wheels.

LeCarra makes their own horn buttons, because the centers are a lot larger than the others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts