Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to kick this one off finally. I know you have seen some peaks in the show your trunks thread but I have a few more pics than that. Not everything is documented especially when I was working with the fiberglass resin or in a hurry but i do have some pics lol. This one has taken me a LOOOOOOONG time but we are seeing the light! I have learned ALOT on this build and i want to thank Juan for putting up the cash to build this thing and try some new thigs. To think the whole fiberglass part came about because we couldn't hide the battery with a straight wood panel lol.

Quick system rundown.

Alpine IVA-D310 already installed probably going to a Pioneer DEH-80PRS to have better active control.
Two 13w7 on two JL 1000/1's
Front stage is Image Dynamics CX62 mids in the doors and XS28 Tweets fiberglassed in the A-pillars run active off a JL 450/4
Epicenter for Juan's Cumbia's
Memphis 0 gauge
Optima redtop in the bay and Yellowtop in the rear.

Car in question.

Box cut. I usually always glass those angled joints.

Mid off Polk DXI component set that was in there next to the Image Dynamics CX62 mid.

ID Mid installed in the door on a 1/2 inch baffle that was undercoated. Raammat and closed cell Foam was used to decouple the mid and baffle from the door.

Measuring out the cut outs for one of the amp beauty panels.

Just mocking it up. on the table before I put it in the car.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
In the trunk real quick to see what it's looking like. This is important. As you go you need to able to see what the next move is.

Frame work taking shape. It's got to be pretty strong so when you start stretching your mold fabric it doesn't move.

The two beauty panels for the amps are in in these pics aswell. This will allow the two tone we are going for.

Rear beauty panel starting to take shape.

Frame work for the rear beauty panel that covers the trunk latch thing pretty much done and almost ready to stretch the ponte material I used as mold fabric.

Sorry for the cell shot but I can't always go run and grab the camera.

Started stretching fabric on the rear panel first. Took all the panels out and taped up what i didn't want to get resin on and layed down some plastic cover cloth to protect the equipment.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Moved onto molding the front subwoofer beauty panel

Juan helped stretch material and was here when we glassed all the panels cutting mat and laying it on while I applied the resin. He didn't know it was so much work! This is a couple of layers of mat on everything. After this I took all the panels out and did a few more layers of glass on the backside.

After this during the rain spell we had in Cali, Juan had some down time and took the car home and then proceeded to sand down the fiberglass to get it ready for filler. I don't have many filler pics but here are the side panels after some filler. My brother and "Silencio Lokote" came over a few nights to spread filler while I sanded.

Here are the panels after filler and some primer to see where I'm at.

You can see my inserts in place that will give me that two tone we're after.

The trunk latch beauty panel has a really light coat of primer in these pics that's why it looks spotty.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't have build pics of the fiberglass A-pillars but here's what i did. I cut out an MDF ring out of 1/4 inch MDF, installed the pillars in the car, Aim the rings a little bit more on axis, stretched ponte material to get the shape, resin the ponte, and then fill the inside with a duraglass milkshake I made. Here they are wrapped by Eddie at Backyard Custom Interiors in perforated material to match the seat inserts.

Shot of both pillars from about where the domelight is.

UH HUH. Sneak peak of the rear and sidepanels that were also wrapped by Eddie at Backyard Custom interiors.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
**UPDATE**

Got these wrapped up and put together. What do you think?

Beginnings of the trunk lid cover.

**UPDATE**

Sidepanel put together. Still need to attach LEDS.

Closer shot of the Embossed Leaping deer.

Sneak peak at what the sidepanels will look like Lit. Routered some plexi to do this known as edge lit plexi. This is with only one led strip on the top. It will have leds on the whole perimeter to create an even glow.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll hold this one just in case.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neta que si lol. Should be pretty bad ass when done.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Good thread. Great work. I'll keep checking back....

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should I update this?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Through a little update up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
wish you were in nashville, i'd let you work on my car!cwm6

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
HOLLY CRAP.. thats some award winning work!! I love it...
I'm not a big fan of loosing my trunk space to stereo equipment and will never do something like this in my car.

However, I had to say that the work you did here is impreSSive and looks really good. I can appreciate the amount of work and creativity that went into that. Nice Job.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not a big fan of loosing my trunk space to stereo equipment and will never do something like this in my car.

However, I had to say that the work you did here is impreSSive and looks really good. I can appreciate the amount of work and creativity that went into that. Nice Job.

Thank you, I appreciate that!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Looking good bro. That epicenter is a nice touch. I've had a couple epicenters in my time.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 45 Posts