Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated-would any of you guys consider these too much?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GLS-1016/
I have a stock set of front(lower&upper) control arms that I will be rebuilding so installing will be a project with zero down time.
I will blast,clean up, and install bew bushings and ball joints over the winter to keep busy on long work days.
Other than those I would consider something from Energy Suspension and some Moog ball joints.
Thanks for any input and feedback, I rather do my research with no rush and try to keep things reasonable since I am not buying tubular control arms here.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I have these on some Bill Harper modified front control arms and love them. My car handles great and I love the ride. I have driven on these for about 50,000 miles and have no complaints.

·
Registered
9,012 Posts
You're already on record now as having asked so you won't be satisfied until you have them. Sorry. Enjoy and be more careful in the future.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You got me! DeathmobileSS What did Bill do to your control arms? I did like those (drag racing?) control arms that Rustic had(yes he is gone) that I saw on Nab's car. I think they were just over 200 bucks-kinda looked like these.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFC-20003S/

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have an idea on where I can get the cross shafts?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
You got me! DeathmobileSS What did Bill do to your control arms? I did like those (drag racing?) control arms that Rustic had(yes he is gone) that I saw on Nab's car. I think they were just over 200 bucks-kinda looked like these.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFC-20003S/
They are stock arms modified with 11/16ths screw in style ball joints. They came with my car but were made by a forum member on here NavyLifer.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Del-a-lum bushing

Answer depends on your planned use of the car. Using the Del-a-lum on the lower front arms will not increase noise,vibration or ride harshness to a noticeable degree. However, putting them on the upper A-arms will increase all of the above. Handleing improvements due to the bushing change are minimal. If significant auto X or track days are planned then
I'd go for it but for street driving not so much.

·
Premium Member
6,458 Posts
Anyone have an idea on where I can get the cross shafts?
Cross shafts:

Global West can supply them, I think. The one thing I'm unsure about is whether these shafts will also work on the B-body. The spacing between the 2 mounting bolt holes on the B-body cross-shaft is ~7.75" center-to-center. GW does not provide information about using these shafts on other applications on their website, but a phone call or e-mail can get you an answer to the question.

(from GW website)
Billet cross shafts and offset shafts:

We manufacture two styles of cross shafts, offset and standard. Both shafts may be used in stock or tubular control arms. The shafts are Gold Zinc finish and hardware is supplied with each shaft. All shafts will except standard rubber, poly, or our Del-a-lum bushings.

Offset Upper control arm shafts are used to obtain more latitude for alignment settings. These shafts are a good investment if you are using stock upper control arms.

The following chart lists upper control arm shafts:

Year/model
Standard Billet Shaft
70-73 Camaro/Firebird
Part # 715
$70.92 each

74-79 Camaro/Firebird
Part # 715
$70.92 each

80-81 Camaro/Firebird
Part # 715
$70.92 each

70-81 Camaro/Firebird Part # 705 offset Billet cross shafts
$80.60 each
(end listing)

Offset shafts for B-body are available as Moog K6210 or ACDelco / GM 88913896 - 1 shaft, 2 bushings, and hardware per kit (for one arm)

I've got (used) regular (OE) shafts available, black zinc plated.

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
Power Performance Motorsports

Come on Drew! Talk to Zac at Power Performance, get what you need and help support the b-body community at the same time!

Front end configuration: http://www.powerperformancemotorsports.com/product.sc?productId=1744&categoryId=19

Or keep it simple stupid and get the upper & lower SpeedTech CA's:

http://www.powerperformancemotorsports.com/product.sc?productId=1751&categoryId=21

and

http://www.powerperformancemotorsports.com/product.sc?productId=1750&categoryId=21

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am just looking for some feedback on these bushings. Speedtech is out of my budget-I buy diapers now!

·
Premium Member
6,458 Posts
Bill,

You may know something I don't, but the Moog book does not show that the K6210 works on any of the GW shaft applications - so I'd be surprised if they will bolt in. Again, you may have some "inside information"...
Clarification as follows--in reference to front upper control arms:

The SHAFT for 70-81 F-body is--I think--the same as 91-96 B-body. The distance between frame bolts is the same at 7.75".

The BUSHINGS are smaller OD on early (70-73 and possibly 74-79) F-body, but same ID. The control arm stampings are different, in other words. 80-81 control arms are the same as 91-96 B as far as the bushing bosses.

The Moog kits are not a reflection of a different shaft, but different combination of parts:

Camaro - all are 2-bushing kits, 2 per car required
70-73 used K6108 bushing kit
74-79 used K6144 bushing kit
80-81 used K6206 bushing kit

B-body
80-96 used K6198 bushing kit, which I "believe" is the same dimensionally as what is in K6206
80-96 had an optional bushing K6409, which is a 4-bushing kit (one kit per car)

So, K6210 IS "unique" to the B-body and I cannot tell you what is different about it and a K6205 shaft kit, which fits 80-81 Camaro....but I'll try to find out. I may be totally lost on this.....

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
Truth

...I buy diapers now!
:D Drew, you know that I've been there done that! So glad to be out of them, carriers, strollers, car seats, etc. However, I do miss how damn
cute they were when they had all that baby fat on them :(

Bill and Zack are the right guys. They'll get you hooked up.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Bill,

As usual, you were correct. The SHAFTS are the same between the 70-81 Camaro and the 91-96 B-body. The difference is the bushings.

You can get billet shafts from GW or just pick up a set of the Moog K6210s from Rockauto.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Bill, Lance, and Zack-I will let you know when I am going to be needing any of these parts!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I am just looking for some feedback on these bushings. Speedtech is out of my budget-I buy diapers now!
I ran del-a-lums on my old 96 9C1 and while I did like them...for 99% of the people out there, they're overkill and useless.

When I drove the car day to day, I didn't notice any increased NVH from them, but when I autocrossed and pushed the car really hard, the front end responded really nicely over stock rubber and over a friends car with poly...but you've gotta drive REALLY HARD to be able to reap any benefits from them

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mike-you think Poly is the way to go then?
This is a street car primarily and who knows if I get to a road coarse ever.
Bammax-I'll let you know when I get them ready, maybe we can do each others arms during a mod day. I have to first pop them apart and blast them for paint...things don't happen as quick since I have a 7month old.

·
Ultimate Impala Guru!
5,481 Posts
Street car, my choices would be :

1. Rubber
2. Del-a-lum (mostly cost and you do give up a little ride comfort)
47. Poly

Yes, Poly really is not the right choice on a street car....sorta "ok" (although gonna squeak like hell if they aren't greasable...hint, none of the ones available are greasable out of the box ;) ) on the front arms, and doing all kinds of "hurting handling" things in back.

Race car, if the rules allow it, run the Del-a-lums.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.