Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

Just "dynamatted" my trunk with the cheap ass Grace Ice shield stuffs. 106sqft for 61.50 out the door at my local Lowes.

Still have more then half left and the difference is amazing. I had no trunk carpet or anything before this. The whole trunk would vibrate so bad with the new system, I was forced to try this. Sticks awesome even in 10*F conditions, CUT VIBRATIONS/RATTLING DOWN!!!

I can't believe it, and the subs sound much much clearer.

Sticks even to my back of my licience plate like a charm, one layer probably 1cm thick!!!

A+ buy if you looking for the best sound absorber out there.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i suppose home depot would have some too? you spread it that think over the whole trunk? any runs or anything afterwards, or does it have a hardened skin that forms on the outside so other stuff doesn't stick to it? any pics?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used that stuff on roofing projects. It comes in like a 32 foot roll, 3 feet wide. Not a liquid product.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this stuff self-adhesive, or heat activated? I have had problems with "normal" dynamat peeling in the summer here (Phoenix). The "extreme" dynamat works like a charm, though.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of curiosity, how much does an entire roll weigh?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

Here are the two products I used in my sound insullation project. First I installed the Ice & Storm Sheild, then covered that with the duct foam wrap. The Ice & Storm shield has a peel off backing with an adhisive on one side. I got it at Menard's.

It works & sticks best when used in small, cut to fit shapes and then warmed with a heat gun.

The duct wrap is a foil faced 1/8" thick foam with a sticky backing. I got it at Ace hardware.

Lowe's and HomeDepot had another similar brand but the foil facing was stiffer and did not form well and it seperated from the foam.

Good luck with your project, DB

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got the Home Depot version of this stuff. I will be doing the trunk. And the box of this stuff is very heavy. Don't know the weight off hand but its HEAVY!!!

How much of the trunk do I need to cover? Every square inch or just selected areas? I plan on covering the entire floor but what about the sides?

Thanks

Murray

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by BBHP#13:
How much of the trunk do I need to cover? Every square inch or just selected areas? I plan on covering the entire floor but what about the sides?

Thanks

Murray
I've not done it myself.. just from reading here. I'd guess that doing the quarterpanels and the backseat bracing are just as important, if not more, than the trunk floor. Seems to me there are just as long expanses of straight metal on the sides that would be easier to vibrate. I know I'll do as much metal as I can see when I get around to my trunk!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess you will run into the weight issue with something cheaper than Dynomat or Fatmat. I plan on doing something like DB, but a little more on the sound deadening than the vibration.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used the Ice Shield from Home Depot and it works great. I used 3M spray adhesive and never had a problem with it sticking. I covered the intire trunk flooring and put three layers inside the rear corner panels and that is ware I think it did the most good.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked out the grace stuff yesterday. I thought it was pretty thin... I can't remember how thick dynomat was. Has any compared the two?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I reccomend heating it up with a heat gun/hair dryer for even improved adhesion.Keep in mind, if you commit to heating it up, you get one chance on a metal to icesheild contact.
BTW A 100sq foot roll weighs aprox 60lbs, and yes it is quite a few MM thick.. You can get an even more "dynomat" looking/feeling brand of ice/watershield at a professional lumber yard. It is very thick and has a smooth surface.
GRACE is the leading brand distributed by most yards.. This is what I use.

I use it in my truck on my sub box, (the box is in my standard cab truck and i didnt carpet it since its hidden, so i covered it with this stuff lol. Talk about a solid sounding box... ) It's going in my car when it gets torn down in spring...

Oh yeah, this info comes from a carpenter who uses this stuff in every home I build/remodel ;)

60 bucks is a pretty good price for that size roll.

Now do the insides of your doors and be blown away! :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did this in my garage. It was probably about 45* inside the garage. I used a hairdryer for a little while but found out that you really dont need it, just peel and stick.

So far nothin has come off, it is on vertical surfaces as well. Definately LIGHTER then dynomat, very thin and sure as hell does the job.

Will get pics later cuz im up at school.

BTW my new subs SOUND BADASS!!!!!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but found out that you really dont need it, just peel and stick.
you might want to keep an eye on it, It may have stuck good now, but if it didnt have its full adhesion qualitys, its going to stiffen up in this cold winter weather and start to peel.

Just some FYI from somebody who uses it professionally at work :D ..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys, I went to Home Depot last night and all I could find was the ice/water shield with the "gritty" top. Is that the one everyone is using or does the Depot carry the non-gritty version? Thanks.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ve got another question, I was at Lowes and found some stuff made by owens corning, it was called weatherguard or weathertech or something. it was in a 3ft tall box. I couldn't see inside but it said it was self adhesive. It was $59. Do you think this is the same stuff????

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its basicly the same stuff, The "gritty" face is just so you can walk on it safer on a roof. Its about the same thickness and same adhesive, so yes it basicly is the same stuff. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts