Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the WP weep hole be bone dry, or is it on its way to failure when there are traces of anti freeze? There are no signs of drips, just the wet patch surrounding the weep hole. The WP has just over 150k.

In a possibly related question, I am questioning the Opti as well. The Opti has 150k, and I am getting an occasional chuggle going up hills, which previously meant it was time for spark plugs. I replaced the plugs, but the chuggle is still there. Given that I have never had the cap off for maintenance, is it time to start over with a new Opti? Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
There are many PM items on a 150k Chevy way easier and cheaper to look into for stumble issues before dicking with the opti.

A search should net many starting points.

To answer your question the hole is to allow AF to escape without galling the bearing and catastrophic failure. Even a dribble is an indication to replace it. If were me, and you plan to keep the car, I'd bite the bullet on the WP and I guess the opti too while you're already that far. Get a good quality one though. No need doing the job twice. It may still not cure your stumble - just a headsup.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Since you need to do the WP anyhow, I would definately take the opportunity to inspect the Opti. My old '95 9C1 had 14X,XXX miles on it when the water pump crapped out. I opted to just put a MSD cap and rotor on the Opti, as the optical sensor, bearings, etc., were all fine. Much cheaper than a whole new Opti. Be advised that you should also change all the seals in the timing chain cover as part of this work, or you WILL have oil leaks.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
..and be sure to read up on how to get that WP seal in correctly and with a makeshift tool (from a sharpie or highlighter), or you will leak like crazy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts