Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my '96 FWB, but I understand that part # is used on the RM climate control too.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A Big D'oH!

Thank's Mark, ebay did not pop up early in searches and didn't think to engage brain past Sunday mode..... Seems a normal used price and I'll give a few hours to throw the business here before pulling the trigger on your link.

Fun backstory. Noticed 5 minutes on the interstate with wife running to an art show that the A/C switched from 'normal 65 high' sounding blower up to the '60 supermax' speed - all on its own. Never done that before. No big woop. But I don't think I would have ever even noticed the blower remained on after turning off the engine when parking except I just happened to recall the strangeness 15 minutes earlier. I figured it had to be a welded closed relay so tried pulling all the HVAC related fuses but kept running strong. I wasn't going to start yanking fuses under the hood so we ran back home and kicked up our restaurant time up and got the black car out. Chalk one up for temporary victory over short-term memory loss.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Bob, I'm happy I could help you out with this. There were a bunch of them on there. I only C&Ped the part # and a lot of them came up. Some were new but ran in the $100s. I just chose one that had free shipping.

Oh Yeah. You said "Chalk one up for temporary victory over short-term memory loss." In my world this is a senior moment.
Good luck my Friend.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
943 Posts
Check the usual suspects before installing the replacement.

Air flow, electrical connections, bad blower motor, or voltage spike due to a alternator problem. Same type of part for ford/lincoln would be about $30 USD. A bad blower will pop the ford part without blowing the fuse.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2nd Time's The Charm

Check the usual suspects before installing the replacement. .....

With the prospects of blowing $110 on a new module, I did exactly that --- and more. lol I went through checked a bunch of grounds, and used the FSM and kept coming up with the same. I went the $38 used e-bay route but alas it did not work either. More checking, more double-checking and the same end every time so just bit the bullet and ordered a brand-new unit. VOILA! And we'll see whether I tricked them all, or just myself, as I opted for the $35 Jeep Cherokee 'non-ACDelco branded' version.

For future searchers:

And since I have 1/2 the dash torn up from testing the A/C head it's that much easier removing and repainting the top pad! Winning! haha The guy at SEM said it's their 15863 (4640) for Lt. Neutral. We'll see.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have not worked with this part but on most DC speed controlers you can do a test at the junk yard that will probibly stop you from getting one that is shorted and runs the fan full speed only.

From the FSM diagram it looks like if you connected a OHM meter between C2 B (battery in) and C1 A (blower motor speed control out) those two pins should be open (infinite or very high OHMs) when you check the module. You should put the meter leads on one way then also reverse the leads and check again. If you get a near zero reading (either direction) the module is shorted and will not control the fan.

Most controlers fail by shorting out (fan runs high no control). This test will not show if a module has failed open (never turns the fan on).

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now THAT is just plain eerie. You're touching on similar if not exact testing I uncovered and used mostly to make sure I could hold my head up attempting to return that used module I bought:
https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/3.8L/blower-motor-resistor-test-1

Of course plugging in the brand new one I got after that and then everything instantly better again pretty much cancelled all the testing (except good anyway for the practice).

Interesting the failure mode: car has 70,XXX on it moving down the interstate right lane minding my manners, 85* outside and set on 65*, then out of nowhere just jumps to full blast recirc. speed (and sound).

And since this WTB thread is already totally jacked I'll mention always a good idea to use any excuse to drop the blower for stray cleaning. Those needles did not fall out even turned upside down. By the sound of it I picked up another 800rpm:

BTW, return was quickly approved for refund. = Good Seller Will do business again lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts