Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
9C1 has a different driver side end tank with no oil cooler. It's tapered in the middle to accomodate the external oil cooler lines passing by.

9C1:

Amazon.com: Spectra Premium CU1516 Complete Radiator: Automotive

Impala, RM, etc:

Amazon.com: Spectra Premium CU1517 Complete Radiator for Buick/Chevrolet: Automotive

Good stuff, Made in Canada, not much reason to buy used.
GRANDPAS WAGON - That's good stuff, I never realized they made 2 different Rads and one for the External Oil Cooler.

I added the ext. Oil Cooler setup to my car and never had a problem with the Stock Radiator. I just plugged the internal oil cooler fittings on the rad tank. The metal lines for the ext. cooler are run throught the rad support just as stock and didn't seem to interfere with the left side of the tank. Rad will be going back in shortly and I will double check this and post here if I see any differences or clearence issues. But I suspect you would be fine if you went with a regular Radiator for an Impala on your 9C1.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Has anyone else had a problem with the oil cooler lines being too big to screw into the oil cooler in the Spectra Premium CU1517? They're definitely a different size on mine from my old radiator, is there a heavy duty option I missed somewhere?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Has anyone else had a problem with the oil cooler lines being too big to screw into the oil cooler in the Spectra Premium CU1517? They're definitely a different size on mine from my old radiator, is there a heavy duty option I missed somewhere?
Yeah I had the same problem I meant to post after I saw granpas wagon recommend this radiator again if you order from Amazon they might leave out the adapter bag and the fan mounting brackets. I sent it back to them and got one from Autozone same part number and after maybe 150 miles my radiator had an issue and mixed trans fluid with coolant. cwm4

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well that sucks, I already had to harass them to get the fan mounting bracket, can I get the adapters by themselves?

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
As interesting as it is to see there is a 9c1 Rad that is contoured to fit around the Ext. Oil Cooler lines, I don't think it is needed on the stock setup. It "appears" that the normal stock Rad would work. Here is a pic of the standard rad I just kept when I added my cooler setup from a 9c1 donor car.....

Here is a look at the cooler lines and how they tuck up close to the side of the rad support.

Another pic from a different angle....

And here is radiator installed looking in from above the PCM. You can see with the Stock Rad installed, there is plenty of clearance for the cooler lines. So still not sure why there is a 9c1 Rad offered but maybe some cooler lines are different. But on these cooler lines, the bracket, bolt, lines etc were all stock GM.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Just to add, The spectra radiator with an internal oil cooler has these funky adapters. I am not a big fan of them as if you tug on the oil cooler lines, the adapter will loosen, No matter HOW tight you make both joints. Loose oil cooler line- big leak, blown engine. Because of the adapters, The oil cooler lines now sit VERY close to the steering box because the lines are 1 inch further away from the radiator than before. The spectra radiator also has a slightly thinner core than stock. I'm not happy with it. Mine was also bent looking, Its gone now. Dont get me wrong, it looked nice, but the oil cooler design is garbage. The fan brackets they give you with the rad are cheap sheet metal! I would use stock ones as they dont bend like the included brackets do.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Unfortunately my stock brackets were completely rotted, as were my lines and connections, which is why I'm having to replace EVERYTHING during my swap. I'm loathe to find another radiator after all this, I think I'll wait and see if I can find some adapters I like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts