Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad's ate a CD so we need to replace it. He wants a factory one for whatever reason, I'd imagine because he is old and doesn't want to learn any new buttons. Anyway I need a factory headunit to put back in. It HAS to have a CD player in it for sure and it has to work. Later on I will get a pic of his to make sure someone has the same exact one.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The dimmer for the climate control is in the radio, if you put in an aftermarket one the climate control will always be full bright.
If you don't find one here, I believe lots of Buicks of the same era had the same player if you have access to a junkyard.

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
By chance would anyone know how to get the dimmer to work with an aftermarket radio installed? I feel blinded by the light...haha
all aftermarket radios should have a dimmer wire you hook up the the dash lights.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The dimmer for the climate control is in the radio, if you put in an aftermarket one the climate control will always be full bright.
If you don't find one here, I believe lots of Buicks of the same era had the same player if you have access to a junkyard.
Strangely enough that method works with my 95 Caprice but not with the roadmaster...According to the service manual, the dimmer wire goes into the stock buick radio and then that line runs to the AC climate control... I wonder if I could "steal" the dimming mechanism from the stock radio or if there is a simpler solution...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have one that I will be removing from my '95 RMW in the next week or so. The laser that reads the disc is a little noisey when you first put a disc in, but once it reads the disc the noise stops and the disc plays fine. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
all aftermarket radios should have a dimmer wire you hook up the the dash lights.
The climate control requires a different kind of dimmer (I think electrophosphorescent). From what I recall in the past, it would have to be a homemade dimmer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's what I found from another forum through a google search. Is this what you were referring to Rematar?

"Not that I think it will be helpful to anyone, but as far as I have figured out, the connection to the radio dims the digital display of the electronic climate control system. It uses (as I recall) a fixed frequency, variable duty cycle signal that causes the brightness to go from fully bright (if you disconnect it) to completely blank (if you connect it to 12v constant).

This only becomes important when you replace the factory radio. The factory radio is what dims the display when the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]headlights[/COLOR][/COLOR]
come on. (I don't know why they did this.) So if you have an aftermarket radio, you have to build a module to dim the display or else you have a really bright light on your dash at night." From http://www.automotiveforums.com/t307153-new_info__1995_non_obd_ii_16_pin.html

So the winning question is, is this something I can salvage from inside an old factory radio or something I have to make (I have no idea!:confused:)??

On top of it all, there is such little space for the unit in the radio housing to begin with (it is rather shallow)...Maybe I will have to dremel out the back plastic... I can barely fit the unit and wires in as it is...

Thanks guys! I am new here and I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
This is all way over my head. One of our members (maybe goldsswagon) was going to try and build something that works from a donor radio, but I just went back to a stock player.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts