Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long shot, but just wondered if anyone has a balanced aluminum driveshaft they would like to sell. I swapped to 3.73's and the stock shaft shakes like crazy.

I'd also take a stock driveshaft if you know that it doesn't vibe with 3.73's

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
D/S

FYI...I swapped to 373's a while back with the stock shaft and if you didn't have vibration before you should be ok. I know mine has not caused a problem and I had the car up to 110 without issues.

Did you try to just flip the D/S 180 degress at the differential? It is possible it got reversed if removed. It's worth a shot if you think it is possible it got out of phase when you removed the shaft. I've heard this can cause issues like what you have...assuming the D/S was fine before with the 3.08's.

Maybe look for a local shop that does highspeed balancing and get yours balanced if it is out. There is a truck facility near me and I think it was $70 to get them to balance the shaft. Could save you a few $. I have a spare stock D/S at home I could sell you but shipping and all it may be best to go with the balancing deal if you stay with a stocker.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine was alright until you got up to 68mph and then it started shaking like crazy with the 3.73's. I had new u joints put in because they were worn out and now the problem is even worse.

I'll let you know on that driveshaft if I can't find one locally. Anything near Cleveland, OH or Flint, MI (i'm at school right now) would be great.

FYI...I swapped to 373's a while back with the stock shaft and if you didn't have vibration before you should be ok. I know mine has not caused a problem and I had the car up to 110 without issues.

Did you try to just flip the D/S 180 degress at the differential? It is possible it got reversed if removed. It's worth a shot if you think it is possible it got out of phase when you removed the shaft. I've heard this can cause issues like what you have...assuming the D/S was fine before with the 3.08's.

Maybe look for a local shop that does highspeed balancing and get yours balanced if it is out. There is a truck facility near me and I think it was $70 to get them to balance the shaft. Could save you a few $. I have a spare stock D/S at home I could sell you but shipping and all it may be best to go with the balancing deal if you stay with a stocker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts