Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

We had a pretty good deep freeze unexpectedly here in Wilmington, NC - now i'm finding myself in need of a coolant reservoir for my 95 Impala SS. Please comment, DM or text me at 610-509-8043.

Thank you guys!,
Jeff C.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
You can still get new ones from GM for around $100...

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Damn Jeff, what did you do....Move? Think you used to be in the Downingtown area and now your down near where we vacation in Topsail.

If you are in the area still, I would have a used one I could sell ya. The tank shouldn't crack though from freezing temps unless you had just water in the tank. In any case, let me know if I can help you out. May even be worth your time to look for one local down there or just get new.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn Jeff, what did you do....Move? Think you used to be in the Downingtown area and now your down near where we vacation in Topsail.

If you are in the area still, I would have a used one I could sell ya. The tank shouldn't crack though from freezing temps unless you had just water in the tank. In any case, let me know if I can help you out. May even be worth your time to look for one local down there or just get new.

I found one shipped on ebay, AC Delco for $95 with a new cap so I went ahead and grabbed it. Yes, the care has been sitting at my work with water in it after a coolant flush (old coolant was horrendous looking). now it has NO coolant in it! haha flush complete i suppose!!

Yessir! Moved down to Wilmington to slow down a little past two days were 15-25 degree high, todays high? 65. hahaha

Thank you 1slow96! Good call there. Ordered a new set of hoses as well

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hopefully your freeze plugs will not be leaking next ..or ??
we gonna find out shortly! soon as my reservoir arrives and i can pressure test the system!

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
we gonna find out shortly! soon as my reservoir arrives and i can pressure test the system!
my 96 imp takes 4.25 gallons I use 2.75 gallons of the antifreeze. this is with the block drained and the heater core blown out.

for me its about corrosion not -34 deg f ..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my 96 imp takes 4.25 gallons I use 2.75 gallons of the antifreeze. this is with the block drained and the heater core blown out.

for me its about corrosion not -34 deg f ..

excellent, was just about to hunt down that information! Thank you, again, J Cat!

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
With the entire cooling system drained on my car, I used 2 gallons coolant and 2 gallons of distilled water along with a bottle of Water Wetter.

One suggestion while the system is drained, I would strongly recommend you also replace the. Plastic Tee and the Flow Restrictor on the heater hoses.....of course a new Tstat too. May not be a bad idea to consider a new pressure cap (GM) if you have no history on that.

The plastic parts become very brittle with age and heat cycles. Nothing worse than getting it all back together and having one of those parts fail later.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the entire cooling system drained on my car, I used 2 gallons coolant and 2 gallons of distilled water along with a bottle of Water Wetter.

One suggestion while the system is drained, I would strongly recommend you also replace the. Plastic Tee and the Flow Restrictor on the heater hoses.....of course a new Tstat too. May not be a bad idea to consider a new pressure cap (GM) if you have no history on that.

The plastic parts become very brittle with age and heat cycles. Nothing worse than getting it all back together and having one of those parts fail later.

Thank you, sir! Any part numbers on those, by chance? I will dig around!

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Thank you, sir! Any part numbers on those, by chance? I will dig around!
Not off the top of my head but should be listed in the part number sticky. If you want something different for the heater hose plastic tee, some of us have made them out of Brass or Aluminum. I did mine from aluminum and there is a thread here that covers both and part numbers I and others have used.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, water pump impellor was broken off inside the housing. hahahah one new water pump and I can now successfully bleed my coolant system and get the car on the road! thanks for all the help fellas

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Well, water pump impellor was broken off inside the housing. hahahah one new water pump and I can now successfully bleed my coolant system and get the car on the road! thanks for all the help fellas
Got the GM 252-700 when I last did mine and its holding up well. I would stay FAR away from anything offered from advance or Autozone. I've heard that the Napa brand is pretty good too.

Took the time to clean it with an aerosol parts cleaner, taped off the tubes and the back side gear/bearing and primed it and used some Gray Engine Enamel to keep it looking new. Finish is still holding up well and is easy to keep clean. They will start to turn like natural aluminum does if you don't paint it. Used a clear on another unit years ago and it just yellowed and look like crap, so paint is the best way to go here.

Before you install the pump, consider doing something to protect the Opti for if/when the weep hole start to show signs of failure. I did this mod last time...

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/53-heating-cooling-hvac/1250881-wp-weep-hole-drain-mod.html

...and it's much easier to do while the pump is off the engine. If it's already installed, you could still add something like this, just a little more difficult to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts