Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like to purchase a wood grain custom or old school impala style steering wheel with ss badge in the middle so lmk what anyone has to offer

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
What do you consider "custom"? Older Nardi and MOMO wheels are nice. They aren't "custom", but are classics and look nice. A 14 inch wheel is the most comfortable for me. The OEM wheels are 15 inches in diameter. You can get Nardis and MOMOs with flat black anodized spokes. Are you looking to put an adapter on the column and get rid of your airbag? Do you like old school, or CNC style wheels? Be careful with the wheels that have wood that extends onto the spokes an inch or so, they tend to crack at the edge of the inside perimeter of the wood.

I have a 13 3/8 inch wheel for sale (pic attached). It bolts to a Nardi hub adapter, and is Nardi's "Personal" brand. It probably came off of a '78 Mercedes. If you want to use a smaller wheel, you should use a shorter wiper stalk. The all wood wheels are nice if you can get one to match your wood trim if you have any. If you do not have to match anything, a nice redish mahogany one really looks good. You also have to check the combined heigth of the adapter and the wheel dish. Ebay has a lot of wood steering wheels in various price ranges and conditions. There are some nice used ones coming from Asia, and somewhat reasonable in price. Be careful though, there are some wheels that look good in the pics, and are really cheap/nasty in person. If you want to have me look at one for quality, or combined heigth, let me know.

You may be able to get a horn button from Grant which can be adapted to almost any steering wheel with a little imagination.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts