Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanted to see if anyone had the fuel floater that goes on the fuel pump.my fuel pump is working but my gas meter doesnt and has a crack in it.not sure if i need the pump too?b/c my car has a low humming noise?but let me know what you have..thanks

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Sounds like you need a new sending unit. If something is wrong witht the float, don't try to fix it just replace it. They are a little pricey ($150 - $250 depending on brand) unless you don't mind dropping your tank again. These things are known to have wiring problems with age/use.

Trust me, I had my tank out of the car a few times in the last year or so. Don't try to save a buck, do it right and be done with it. You can test the pump out of the tank by hooking up 12V and ground to it and put it in a bucket of water to see if it pumps. One issue with this, these things can get weak and just hitting the tank will get them to start up again. But eventually they will stop altogether. So even if you suspect the pump is bad, may be a good idea to replace it while your there. good Luck with your repairs. LMK if I can offer any other help on this if you decide to do it. Really not hard to do, just take your time and follow all the safety precautions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info..i dropped the tank the other day thinking it was the fuel pump and it ended up having a crack in the floater and it takes 3-5 days to order(180.00)without the pump...bt i think im just gonna change the pump/strainer/and sending unit and hopefully thatll work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts