Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace the floor shift cable in my '96 SS. Current cable was "pinched " during Trans swap getting the cross member in.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Can't you "massage" it back to functionality?
These are super scarce ,and closing in on $300 if you can find one.

Reactions: KW Baraka

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I lost mine, couldn't justify paying $300 for a 25 year old shift cable so I ended up just making a B&M cable work. It took a little time but wasn't all that difficult and cost $100 in parts...and if the cable itself ever snaps it's only $65 to replace.

You have to buy their shift cable PN 80605 and their 4l60e lever kit.

I drilled a hole in the shifter bracket, ran the cable through it and bolted the tab of the cable to the bracket using spacer to get the cable end to sit where it needed to on the shift lever pin.

For the trans side, just bolt the 4l60e lever up on the trans. You may be able to use their bracket for the trans pan, but I bent my own up for a better angle to reduce stress on the cable. Since the cable is adjustable, the dimensions of the bracket aren't too critical. It just needs to be a 1/8th steel bracket bent in an L shape and then you drill two holes for the trans pan bolts and one for the shift cable to bolt through.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'll try the B&M cable & Bracket kit. The original cable has been "massaged" to where it works, but rough and stiff going from 3 -2 -1 or up. It's not suitable for auto cross or the strip the way it is now.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I never shift manually on drag strip ,and auto-x I do best just leaving it in 2nd.

Reactions: KW Baraka

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your experienced advice , it's always appreciated !
I ordered the cable and modification kit from Summit Racing. Parts received the next day. After shift cable install, it's off to the Dyno for a transmission tuning.
Car has yet to meet the track since rebuild. Numerous Optispark and transmission issues. Distributer issues resolved with my original Opti, ( with original 250k miles on it), rebuilt with the last GM parts I could find on the net. . The current transmission seems to be holding together, so I hope to get it on the track soon!

·
Premium Member
20,364 Posts
......I ordered the cable and modification kit from Summit Racing......
Scott,

You got a part number for that kit?

Thanks!

KW

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those with similar issues, and future reference,
Summit Racing part #s , (you may find cheaper prices elsewhere, but to my mind, I just want the correct parts)

The cable part # is: BNM 80605 $71.42
The shift lever kit # is: BNM 35498 $36.21

Summit ships free for orders over $100.00, state sales tax is added, if applicable.

Installation is next week, I'll post a note to SSANDMAN's suggestion on mounting and modifications. Hope to be happy!

Scottdog

1 - 8 of 8 Posts