Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to start practicing doing pinstriping and figured I'd stop here first to see if anyone here has a bunch a one shot, or some other sign painters enamel, that they know they'll never do anything with.

I figured why not ask here first - that way I can save a little money, and someone in the fambily here can have a couple extra bucks in their pocket.

I'd need it shipped to 48507, and as a point of reference - a brand new 5 color starter kit is only about $40.

Have paypal ready, so PM me whatya got.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have never tried to free hand stripe but I just bought an aluminium paint striper supply box at auction with a few colors and brushes, so I plan to give it a shot myself. I've been around the collision repair business my whole life and the people that do this in my area are amazing, very talented. I could only hope to develop skills to do a straight line, let alone some of the more elaborate stuff I've seen. Anyway back to your quest...... I think a big key is the brushes and $40 for several colors and brushes seems cheap if the brushes are of good quality. I think there is only one or at most a few suppliers of the good (red squirrel ?) hair brushes. I would start by researching the brush and go from there.
EDIT; as with any job or project the correct tools make it easier to accomplish the task.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I was a mere teenager, we mover from a little farming town in Missouri to , Peenix, AZ across the street from a '32 Ford who was owned by a guy who striped. I saw him improve from, sometimes it would take wipeing off a couple of attempts to get it OK, hardest being long double lines @ being to mirror the design next to the original.....to doin' double lines, with a very fine brush down the body lines of $new highend$ cars at numerous dealerships. This was over a period of about 5 yrs. Point being, no real tricks in the how-to books/tapes, practicepracticepractice. I'll throw you a bone, if you can do it on glass, you can do it on anything.............Good Luck with it....RBU

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
DesertDawg the glass tip is one I forgot, one of the locals told me to practice on glass as you can wipe it off and start over easily. I just was thinking of doing this on glass that had the back side painted so as not to be working on clear glass. And I agree that books and tapes would most likely be a waste of $.

·
Registered
447 Posts
sent a pm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts