Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Chevrolet Impala ss, 5.7 liter, 4Wd
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wrecked the rear end of my 94 ss. I’m looking for the rear end clip(quarters,trunk lid,bumper,lights,).

·
Registered
Habitual Line-Stepper
2,689 Posts
I just wrecked the rear end of my 94 ss. I’m looking for the rear end clip(quarters,trunk lid,bumper,lights,). View attachment 199816
That car is totaled.

You will spend thousands just on labor, and that's assuming the frame is not bent.

Much, much cheaper to buy a new SS, dude.

·
Registered
1994 Chevrolet Impala ss, 5.7 liter, 4Wd
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I’m not worried about labor and the frame and everything I have family who does that. The frame was bent just a little, and I’ve already gotten that straightened out. I just need a new clip, everything else is fine.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The reason it's totaled is mostly because there is no "rear clip".
The front clip simply unbolts from the car, but the rear of the car is welded in and doesn't just come off. As such, it's pretty difficult to fix major rear end damage.

As sad as it is, it is totalled. That doesn't mean it can't be repaired, but it'll likely be quite expensive.
Another option if you don't care about having a "true" Impala SS, is to buy a 9C1 or B4U caprice with an LT1. They are typically cheaper and easier to find, and you could swap over your Impala SS parts.

·
Registered
Habitual Line-Stepper
2,689 Posts
Yea, I’m not worried about labor and the frame and everything I have family who does that. The frame was bent just a little, and I’ve already gotten that straightened out. I just need a new clip, everything else is fine.
Good luck.

These cars don't have a "rear clip". The quarter panels are not removable. You are going to be doing some major cutting and welding.

You will probably be better off buying a donor car.

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
378 Posts
I’m not worried about labor and the frame and everything I have family who does that.
I hope your family really likes you, cause that's not going to be an easy or quick fix.

Reactions: 96Lt1civi

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
" CLIP" as in part of of the car cut .
So many know it alls.
Common term in the repair industry.
As in " I need a rear clip cut ahead of D pillars"

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Wheel
Hood Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire Vehicle

That said I would be looking for a roller but thats me.

·
Registered
Habitual Line-Stepper
2,689 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Some people call a bolt on an assembly, some still call it a clip.
An intelligent person who isn't just looking for an argument would know what the person is asking for.
Case in point a person wanting a 2013 camaro front end would need, to clarify if they needed inner structure which would involve cutting.
Some do some dont.
If I remove the front clip ( or front end) of my wagon, wrenches are involved.
If I remove the front clip of uni body car, likely sawing will be involved.

While one can argue the fine points, fact of the matter is if someone contacts a wrecker and asked for a rear clip, they are going to know what the person is asking for.
The reply would typically be how much and where the cuts need to be.
Car-part .com even have a rear clip choice in their,search function.
Product Font Parallel Technology Electric blue

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
To add,
While changing the entire shell, firewall back with or without frame compared to back halfing the car is certainly easier,
You run into the serial number and " which car is it now " deal.
Harkens back to the age old question of what part of the car is the car ?
One can run afoul of the law pretty quick.

I am of the "firewall is the car" camp

In racing cars get retubbed all the time.
Years later there are cases of two people arguing they have "the car".

·
Registered
769 Posts
I wasn't looking for an argument, or trying to be a smart alec.
As a grammer nazi, I understand your sentiment, but
I figured that by not calling the rear clip a "rear clip", it wouldn't be confused with how the front clip is replaced, as it's quite different. That's all.

Also +1 to what 95wagon said.

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
378 Posts
Either way is not going to be very cheap, but buying another car and either swapping your parts to it or using the other car as parts for yours is a better bet.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
For bmoneyo2, this may turn into an 'Impala SS of Theseus'.
Without the 'attachment' (pun intended), yeah, in terms of time money and energy, use your car and another parts donor car to build a better car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That was a severe collision, that must’ve been a nasty whiplash. Find a SS that needs what you already have and swap them out. Or find a new SS and remove all the salvageable parts from the wrecked one for extra parts. Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.