Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a pair of rear roadie door panels in gray. They don't need to be perfect as I'm going to be doing some modding on them. But the bottom plastic needs to be in good shape with courtesy lights.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year? I have some nice 92/93 gray ones.
Well, I'm not really sure but here is what I'm after. I want to add courtesy lights similar to the front panels to my rear panels. I "think" the roadies all had this option and some older Caprices (91-93) and the bottom plastic section was similar on all.

That way I could maybe remove my Leather/Vinyl top section of my Imp panel and splice that to the lower section. Or maybe get lucky and see that the entire roadie or early caprice Rear panel is very similar and just wire up the lights. So, I'm just trying to get a little creative to add some lights back there but still keep her looking stock.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Well mine look similar to the caprice/SS panels. The 94-96 Roadie panels are totally different than the older ones. But all year Roadies do have courtesy lights in all the doors IIRC. I can get you some pics if interested. $30 each panel + shipping, or if you're coming to nats I can meet you there. :)

·
Registered
10,906 Posts
The 91-93 rear panels from all the cars with the long inserts and power windows are identical to the Imp panels except for color. If you painted to match you would be in good shape. Not all 91-93 panels had the rear door lights. Some had a blank panel in place of the light. All the 91-93 panels will accept the lights. There aren't any Imp gray lights, so you will have to paint the base. All of the lenses available for the rear lights are the faceted style, which is different from the smooth Imp ones. If you get the faceted style lenses for the front they would match better. You might have to install wiring to the rear doors to activate the lights. A 91-93 donor car would have the correct connectors.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well mine look similar to the caprice/SS panels. The 94-96 Roadie panels are totally different than the older ones. But all year Roadies do have courtesy lights in all the doors IIRC. I can get you some pics if interested. $30 each panel + shipping, or if you're coming to nats I can meet you there. :)
Yes, very interested. Please shoot me some pics to [email protected]. Hopefully shipping won't be too bad. I'm just wondering if the gray will match perfectly. I had a Roady Rear seat in the car for a while and IIRC it was just a shade lighter than the imp/caprice gray. So this is most likely what fred is referring to. But I'm ok with that if it's close or I have to paint. Just LMK what you think of the color compared to the Impala interior. I'm also ok with the faceted lenses that he mentioned and would prefer them anyhow. Fred, you sell so many parts :) you probably forgot but I got a set of those from you for my front panels. I think they look much better than the Imp style. As for the wiring, no biggie, I will just fab up a harness like I did for the fronts. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Yes, very interested. Please shoot me some pics to [email protected]. Hopefully shipping won't be too bad. I'm just wondering if the gray will match perfectly. I had a Roady Rear seat in the car for a while and IIRC it was just a shade lighter than the imp/caprice gray. So this is most likely what fred is referring to. But I'm ok with that if it's close or I have to paint. Just LMK what you think of the color compared to the Impala interior. I'm also ok with the faceted lenses that he mentioned and would prefer them anyhow. Fred, you sell so many parts :) you probably forgot but I got a set of those from you for my front panels. I think they look much better than the Imp style. As for the wiring, no biggie, I will just fab up a harness like I did for the fronts. Thanks!
Okay, will get ya some pics tomorrow when I'm fartin around in the garage. If I send it parcel post through US mail shipping shouldn't be too bad. I had a door panel shipped to me that way once and it was a little under $20 (for one). Not sure how the gray color compares to the SS though since I've never owned one :)

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, will get ya some pics tomorrow when I'm fartin around in the garage. If I send it parcel post through US mail shipping shouldn't be too bad. I had a door panel shipped to me that way once and it was a little under $20 (for one). Not sure how the gray color compares to the SS though since I've never owned one :)
Got the pics and they look really nice. Sent you an email and ready to get these from you. LMK how to get you payment once we figure out ship details....thanks!

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perfect

Got the door panels today and they are even nicer than I expected. The color match looks darn close to my Impala interior too. Thank you Goldmaster

·
Registered
10,906 Posts
I forgot to mention one area of non fittiment. The top rear corner of the RMS is different from the wagons and Caprices, and the wagons are different from the Caprice upper panels. The cutout for the rear top corner is shaped differently. The RMS also has a shorter wiper strip because of the small statioary window.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I forgot to mention one area of non fittiment. The top rear corner of the RMS is different from the wagons and Caprices, and the wagons are different from the Caprice upper panels. The cutout for the rear top corner is shaped differently. The RMS also has a shorter wiper strip because of the small statioary window.
Yeah, I mentioned to him in an email that there was some type of difference near the upper rear portion of the panels (I think it was you that mentioned this before somewhere, so I passed the info along to him). I have never tried to fit them on a Caprice/SS, so I didn't know the exact differences.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fred, thanks again for your input, your help/knowledge is always appreciated. I noticed the wiper strip thing right away and looks like this piece is attached with plastic welds to the top. I just compared the color match to the rest of the interior last night and "roughly" held it up to the existing panel mounted to the door. I didn't notice any major differences in the shape of this panel compared to the Impala panel but wasn't checking real well just overall.

I've got some steering/suspension stuff I'm trying to finish up first and then will be some interior mods (headliner, powered RV mirror, light coathooks, oil pressure resistor) in the near future. If these panels don't fit right I guess I will be doing some research on how to seperate the bottom plastic and attach it to the top portion of my Impala panels. It looks difficult due to how these things are plastic welded together but I think I saw some threads on the subject.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fyi

Here are some pics of the panels I got from Goldmaster. You can see the difference in the top wiper strip from the stationary window. But other than that I'm not seeing any other fitment issues with these roadie panels.

Maybe I just got lucky with these but looks like they will hang right on the door without major mods. Is there some other area you were talking about these not fitting? The top rear corner looks shaped the same. My car is a 95 Caprice sedan, that currently has Impala door panels installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,906 Posts
It looks good if you can swap the wiper strip. The tabs are melted, and you can heat them to straighten them, then swap the strip (any caprice/wagon strip will work), and remelt the tabs. I would not destroy the OEM panels, you can probably recoup at least some of your costs with them. You now have the rear door courtesy lights that are not available with the OEM panels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts