Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have the old school plug and play wiring for a Sedan (96 SS) in order to run lights on a trailer? If not does anyone know where I could source such thing, I am doubting they make it anymore?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am reading that the plug and play connectors had issues overheating the system and can cause the column wires to be fried :(

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have seen the melted column connector as a result of the sequential tail lights. This would be equivalent to adding a trailer light. That said there are many more people that have sequential lights or trailer connectors and have no issues.

If this worries you there are several things you can do:
Use electrical cleaner to clean the column connector and the trunk connector.(Do it anyway)
Run a power wire to the trunk and supply the trailer harness through relays and fuses.
Skip the relays and install a trucker's style LED brake/turn signal light on the trailer. The snap in units with LED are DOT approved and use much less power than light bulbs.

This turn signal switch/connector has been used on many GM products for decades. There are some people who have had problems. Most people tow a trailer with one brake/turn bulb a side and have no problems. If your trailer has two or more a side I would modify something. The other factor is usage. Are you towing several times a year or every day? If it was every day the relays would be a good investment.

On my three tow vehicles I use in-line fuses for the trailer harness. So when someone's damaged trailer shorts out, the tow vehicles fuses are still good. So when the trailer messes up at night I still have lights and turn signals on the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Chris-I bought three from e-trailer.com a few years back and have one in each of my 95's with no problems.

Jim

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
You get a tire tote trailer for Indy?

Nab

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts