Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name’s Brandon locates in 76017.

I am lookin to purchase a frame, must be 94-96 SS OR 9c1(no civilian)

Would also purchase a parts car instead if necessary & if the deal is right.

Looking for something close to the zip code above or at least in Tx.

Frame bent on my 94 and front wheel fitment is affected on both sides too close to backside of wheel well.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
If for nothing more than entertainment, can you show some pictures from underneath as to where/how the frame or front suspension is bent?

Assuming the other front wheel is also pointed straight forward, I'd like to see what it takes to move both front wheels back that far and still point forward, while the rest of the car is relatively intact!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pics from underneath but I have a few from top w/front clip removed. The only damage I could find was BEFORE the front wheels which always made me think that would cause the problem.
Plus BOTH front wheels are like this, always thought it was ok until I seen other b bodies.

thought of taking it to a pro but I want to do body bushings so figured I’d find a good frame & paint it.

thought caster adjustment but there are zero shims in it, not sure if they came with any from factory.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Yeah well, I would give that one the boot too.:rolleyes: My thought is that your best bet will be finding a 9C1 frame. Lots more of those. If it were me I would do more than just paint it and throw it under the car. Beef it up and you will most likely be happier in the end. We're fairly close so I'll look around here for something. When time permits. Also you may have to buy a parts car. I just remembered that Parts World in Roosevelt, Ok. had a 9C1. It was there several years ago. The engine and rear were out of it. I got some parts off of it the last time I was there. The owner, George, hardly ever gets rid of anything. He tends to keep it till it's all gone.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I was looking around a bit and found this. Parting 96 Chevy caprice - auto parts - by owner - vehicle...
Might be just the ticket.

Sadly this bit of info is in that ad.

FOLLOWING PARTS NOT AVAILABLE. NOT FOR SALE, NOT FOR SALE
Bumpers
Front fenders
Hood
Lower dash parts
Motor/trans/drivetrain/wiring harness
Frame/suspension parts
Rear differential
Wheels/rims/hubcaps
Brakes/braking system
Gas tank/fuel lines
Radiator
Steering column

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
My mistake. I saw the ad and didn't go too far into it. Watching riots on the boob tube. Now it's totally weird ad. The owner keeping then"Not for sale" items.

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts
Way back when we had a big discussion about the reported frame differences.
If I recall, we found that once people were comparing the same places , apples to apples , could not see a difference.

"Heavy duty full perimeter frame"
doesnt say the other cars dont

Oh, and from the parts book

Frame part number.JPG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah well, I would give that one the boot too.:rolleyes: My thought is that your best bet will be finding a 9C1 frame. Lots more of those. If it were me I would do more than just paint it and throw it under the car. Beef it up and you will most likely be happier in the end. We're fairly close so I'll look around here for something. When time permits. Also you may have to buy a parts car. I just remembered that Parts World in Roosevelt, Ok. had a 9C1. It was there several years ago. The engine and rear were out of it. I got some parts off of it the last time I was there. The owner, George, hardly ever gets rid of anything. He tends to keep it till it's all gone.

Yea I plan on strengthening the replacement frame as well. One thing I’ve noticed since buying my impala back is how scarce b-bodies are becoming. I used to always be able to find multiple cars near me.

Thanks for the lead on the one in Roosevelt, I’ll check it it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Way back when we had a big discussion about the reported frame differences.
If I recall, we found that once people were comparing the same places , apples to apples , could not see a difference.

"Heavy duty full perimeter frame"
doesnt say the other cars dont

Oh, and from the parts book

View attachment 193867
I read a thread on here staying the civilian captives have a thinner gauge steel than the 9c1/SS.
Even though I planned on reinforcing the frame I didn’t want to “downgrade” so to speak.

If the civilian caprices, 9c1, & SS are the same that would give me more options.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
For some reason, GM left out the following on 91-96 B-sedan frames:
BOX THE FRAME
Refresh the body bushings - if you're thinking polyurethane, polyGRAPHITE is even better
Tie the rear framehorns together, either with a trailer hitch, or some less conspicuous solution
Add Dick Miller Racing Rear Triangulation Braces to remove stress from the rear upper control arm connection points
Tie the front framehorns together with a Front Swaybar Reinforcement Plate (functions like a 'wonderbar')
(There's something else that can be added to the front part of the frame that escapes my memory; something I might've seen on the frames of 80s G-bodies?)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For some reason, GM left out the following on 91-96 B-sedan frames:
BOX THE FRAME
Refresh the body bushings - if you're thinking polyurethane, polyGRAPHITE is even better
Tie the rear framehorns together, either with a trailer hitch, or some less conspicuous solution
Add Dick Miller Racing Rear Triangulation Braces to remove stress from the rear upper control arm connection points
Tie the front framehorns together with a Front Swaybar Reinforcement Plate (functions like a 'wonderbar')
(There's something else that can be added to the front part of the frame that escapes my memory; something I might've seen on the frames of 80s G-bodies?)
Thanks for the advice man!!! Polygraphite? Definitely looking into those bushings and the Dick Miller braces!!!

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,091 Posts
If I remember correctly, there are basically 4 frames for these cars:
  • "The regular one", which is used on all civilian b-body sedans (SS, civi Caprice, Roadmaster)
  • The 9c1 frame, which is basically the same, except beefier
  • The wagon frame, which is fully boxed, longer, and wider than the sedan frame
  • The Fleetwood frame, which is basically the regular sedan frame, except extended by about 6"
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
418 Posts

This what is shown in the GM parts manual for frame replacement on a sedan. No distinction for 9C1, WX3, or base sedan. This data is from the early 2000's provided by BDL Inc. licensed by GM to sell a CD.

Ken

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,091 Posts
View attachment 193940
This what is shown in the GM parts manual for frame replacement on a sedan. No distinction for 9C1, WX3, or base sedan. This data is from the early 2000's provided by BDL Inc. licensed by GM to sell a CD.

Ken
Isn't it a known fact that the 9c1 frame is stronger?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts