Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My box is leaking. Need a new one. Anyone got 1 for sale or where is the best place to get a new one with the correct Ratio?

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
There are 2 types of steering boxes standard, and quick ratio. They are interchangeable physically. Standard gives more accurate steering, and quick ratio gives you fewer turns lock to lock. A new one is expensive, a rebuilt one is cheaper, but quality may vary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are 2 types of steering boxes standard, and quick ratio. They are interchangeable physically. Standard gives more accurate steering, and quick ratio gives you fewer turns lock to lock. A new one is expensive, a rebuilt one is cheaper, but quality may vary.
I looked at lees. Thats a lot more than i was expecting to pay. My mechanic said he could get em for around 300 i think. Are the ones at the local parts store junk?

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
The ones at the parts stores can be a crapshoot. The upside to that is the seller is close by if it takes a dump. Your mechanic is going to get it at the same place you would if you go to the local parts store. Are you going to install it yourself? If so, you would do better buying it yourself, and installing it. If you want one that is quick ratio, say it is for a Caprice 9C1/police cruiser. The fast ratio box will have a Z on the top.

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
You can check them by turning the input shaft left, and right to the locks, and count the turns. You do not have to take it apart.

·
Registered
157 Posts
also wrong unless you can prove 100% that the steering box is original and from a b-body. gm ran the saginaw 800 from the mid-60s until the late-80s, all will bolt up. who knows what the rebuilders use for cores. we have been down this road before fred perhaps you should reread my posts for the correct information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts