Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,287 Posts
Anyone have a Jeep shaft to sell?
I have one laying around that I never got around to using.

I'll get back to you....

KW

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
You can get a new one on amazon for about $120 with free shipping. You do not have to worry about worn bearings in the universals.

When you install it, you must cut a groove in the steering column D tube to allow the clamping screw to pass through.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have one laying around that I never got around to using.

I'll get back to you....

KW
Thanks, let me know when you can. Car is having other issues right now so not currently being driven.

You can get a new one on amazon for about $120 with free shipping. You do not have to worry about worn bearings in the universals.

When you install it, you must cut a groove in the steering column D tube to allow the clamping screw to pass through.
I always get confused about which one to order. I was all ready to order a new one last year but didn’t feel comfortable making the selection so I backed off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for those links, I’ll probably pop for new, I’ve got a ridiculous amount of slop in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
The looseness is probably due to the steering box as much as anything else. There are instruction in the FSM to adjust the steering box. The only thing they do not tell you about, is when you are adjusting the input shaft, you must approach center from the left, or the shaft will push out and make your adjustment incorrect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And you've adjusted your steering box first, no loose tie rod ends, upper & lower ball joints or idler arm?
Have not adjusted the steering box! Idler is relatively new and I have new ball joints to install along with a new center link, RockAuto was having a clearance sale on Impala parts. Haven’t done anything about tie rod ends.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The looseness is probably due to the steering box as much as anything else. There are instruction in the FSM to adjust the steering box. The only thing they do not tell you about, is when you are adjusting the input shaft, you must approach center from the left, or the shaft will push out and make your adjustment incorrect.
Good to know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts