Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Ended up finding another solution. Apparently original vette intake boots are unobtanium at this point. They come and go on ebay, but uncommon and usually for stupid money. I found a damaged, unusable one on there for $100. Yes, a Benjamin Franklin for a useless part that cannot be repaired as it was ripped. And I found both the front and rear boots together with MAF for $170. So, yeah, I went another way.

Registered
Was It Something Like This?

Ended up finding another solution. .....
This is the very first hit with, "silicone intake boot" but I may have used a different source. I've got the correct one to go on my '96 FWB for a cone filter:
Silicone Intake Boots and Couplers

After quite a bit of reading regarding overall term efficiency and protection I've stayed with just my current drilled stock box, Home Depot pipe, and best quality stock filter.

EDIT: Caught this, "quote: useless part that cannot be repaired as it was ripped". I could swear I saw a vulcanizing product 15-25 years ago for CV joint boots. May be worth investigating, but come to think of it not hearing about it much since then may indicate not so effective eh. Needless to say I've always just spent the 2 hours and put in a new one when needed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Already went the silicone boot route, didn't work. I needed to get from the throttle body (4") to the MAF (3陆") and at an overall length of around 5". Reason being that from the airbox to MAF, you are extremely limited as to what will work given the goofy size of the connector at the air cleaner assembly on vette's. You can get reducers that have the diameters I needed, but nothing long enough, most are about 3" in length. Since neither of the original "accordion" boots were readily available at a price I was willing to pay, I opted for the aftermarket "power coupler" for the front boot, and since the rear "power coupler" boot has been discontinued I substituted an '85-'89 power coupler.

It was much too narrow at one end, but it was also 7" long. I did the math and determined that once I cut a couple inches off for the length I needed, I would have a diameter of roughly 3-7/16", which was close enough to fit the 3陆" MAF. Had to pop a couple holes for the IAT sensor and vacuum line to the opti, and play around with the fitment a little, but it came out pretty decent in the end, and I only spent $100 total on the two pieces together.

Attachments

Registered
Hoselinx Has reducing couplers in 5" lengths...

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
That probably would have worked, didn't come across that brand when trying to find one. And that size is $5-10 less than the rubber piece I bought, would have saved me a little. I scoured ebay, amazon, google, etc, never did find anything but in the end I found a solution that worked for me without breaking the bank.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Hm, never seen the ram air boots before, might have worked. Looks like it angles up a little, which would make sense if it was attaching to a ram air setup. The vette requires that it drops down a little to line up, so as long as it could be turned around without issue, should work. The IAT sensor and vacuum fitting locations might be different, but could be dealt with, especially after turning it around. It is a full half inch short, but the bellows might stretch just enough to work. It's a moot point anyways now, but something to keep tucked away in the back of my head should I ever need it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts