Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I put my engine on a stand. I got the oil pan and pump off. I was looking inside and shyt. I see bolt threads. Retrieved the bolt with a magnet and there is no head on it. (I'll have to check for the head inside.) Then I notice it's a main cap bolt. What's going on here? Turns out it's one of the bolts from the number 4 main cap. I took the caps off. One at a time and replaced them so as not to mix them up. The bearings all looked pretty much the same, a little scoring but not real bad. This engine has almost 300K on it and the oil pressure was about 45 @ warm idle & 65+ doing about 70 MPH. So, my questions are 1. How do you suppose this happened? 2. Do you think it's worth putting anything into this or get another engine? BTW, the bearings did their job. The journals look pretty good.
Thanks Friends,

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4X4, Thanks a ton. I knew I would have to replace the bolts if it didn't FUBAR something else. Anyway, I just ordered a set of ARP studs. This really messed with my head. No pun Bob. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Do yourself a favor and cancel the order for studs and go with bolts. Studs require a different torque which will require a line hone to the mains when switching from bolts to studs and it sounds like you're not wanting to tear the engine apart. Just so you know, I was an automotive machinist for 22 years and not some backyard mechanic sending smoke signals.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
4X4, Thanks a ton. I knew I would have to replace the bolts if it didn't FUBAR something else. Anyway, I just ordered a set of ARP studs. This really messed with my head. No pun Bob. :wink2:
I agree to only use new bolts. reason is bolt thread length is longer so more friction. nuts will not hold ...less thread ...

If the bolts were removed and installed again that would explain it ..

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered on evilbay. I contacted about canceling and I would order the bolts and maybe some other items from this seller. They have a large selection. I was at HF today. Funny thing happened speaking of studs. I walked down an aisle and all the stud locators fell to my feet. >:) If I can't cancel it's a SNAFU and I'll have a set for sale.
Thanks guys,

Mark: Snowman33

1 - 6 of 6 Posts