Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put an XM radio in my 1996 Caprice. I ran the antenna up through the defroster vent in the center of the dash. I don't get very good reception, the XM signal comes and goes. I have the same setup in my Impala SS, but I ran the antenna to the trunk and up the rear window molding to the top rear of the roof. That seems to work fine. I've read that the antenna should work fine from the inside of the car, but I'm wondering if the Sungate windshield interferes with the XM signal. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
As you have found out, it works best on the exterior. I have had mine for 9 years and I just ran it up the passenger A-pillar and to the exterior on the right front corner. I have had no problems. The Sungate probably does present interference but so do a lot of things when mounted on the interior. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Back when I had Sirius Radio I did not want to mount the Antenna on the body. I've seen those wear the paint underneath. So I ran mine similar to yours, out the defrost vent and mounted to the dash pad. Figured it was such a large space for line of sight signal. It worked well mounted there except for obvious reasons when I had my wipers on and it would cut in and out. My windshield is just the regular glass.

I suspect the reflective properties of the Sungate WS are blocking the signal to the antenna or at least interfering with it. With that windshield, you may have no choice to mount it on the top of the body somewhere.

Before going to the exterior, you could try to lay it on the back package tray and see how it performs there. The defrost wires may block the signal and I think there is something on that glass too though. When wearing my Native (polarized) Sunglasses I can see little circles on the back glass that you don't see with the naked eye.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so in case anyone cares..... I checked the XM radio that I have (Onyx) and it has a signal strength meter. I was surprised to see both a satellite signal and a terrestrial signal strength meter. The terrestrial was full bars, the satellite no bars. I rerouted the antenna wire through the car, out the trunk and to the roof above the rear window. Rechecked signal strength, both were full bars. Pretty apparent that the Sungate blocks the satellite signal completely.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I ran mine up under the dash, down the passenger side of the car, in to the trunk, under the weather strip seal, up the right side of the rear window (under the gasket) and stuck it to the top corner of the rear window with some 3M double sided tape. It's been there for 2 years without issue. I also did the same thing on just about every car I've owned.

You can see it there on my old GTO. It's the exact same for the Impala. Mounting to the body will leave a mark. Mounting it inside the cabin is an inferior solution (I've tried) and I don't care how good you say your signal is, it's not as good as mine....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts