Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating the worth of upgrading to XM. I have an XM ready radio in the SS. I know I will need the antenna. Since I have the ready receiver, what else will I need? What can I expect to pay. I think I will still need a decoder? or something like that. Anyone have any cons on the XM?
Thanks.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Since I have the ready receiver, what else will I need? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on which head unit you have. But generally, the XM tuner (a "box" you can mount in the trunk), the interface cable between the XM tuner and your head unit (which should come with the "box"), and an XM antenna.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What can I expect to pay. I think I will still need a decoder? or something like that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on what deals you can find, but I believe the going rate right now for a tuner plus antenna is around $125-150 or so.

After you get it installed, you have to activate it (do it by phone, takes about 15 minutes on the phone and 1 hour of waiting afterwards for the satellite signal to activate). Costs $10/month.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Anyone have any cons on the XM?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your power antenna may die down in the fender because you'll NEVER use AM/FM anymore :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Pioneer DEH-P4400

here are a few specs:

EEQ™ performance chip
3-band equalizer
Easy EQ (EEQ) switches: 5 factory and 1 user EQ presets (Super Bass; Powerful; Natural; Vocal; Flat; Custom)
IP-Bus system control
MCD control
Auxiliary input (CD-RB10 or CD-RB20 required. Sold separately.)
One external unit control
One pair RCA preouts (2V)
XM RADIO SATELLITE READY:
Controls optional GEXP900XM or GEXFM903XM Satellite Radio tuners (as External unit).
8-character display for XM Radio text (no scroll)

So any more thoughts on what I need?
Or how would my radio work with XM?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buy the XM tuner (I have the GEXP900XM controlled by a DEH7400 in my WRX...buy this one as you do NOT need the FM modulation provided by the 903 unit) and antenna, and you should be set.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the antenna, use the new Terk XM3. Really small profile and magnetic base. It retails for about $50. With your radio, I'm pretty sure the text from the XM receiver will not scroll across the screen so whatever text will fit on the screen (song title/artist/station name) is all you will get. That being said, you're going to love XM. Imagine not having cable/satellite on your TV...that's what XM will do for your radio experience.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or you can do what I did if your needs are similar. I bought the 903 and an ip cable. You can put the fm modulator stuff in another car, and the ip cable controls the unit in the SS. Now when I put the 'pala away for the winter I just throw the xm in a different vehicle so I dont suffer from xm withdrawl.

Peter

If I had to do it all over again, I would consider strongly using the sky-fi unit. Then you could use a patch cable to go directly into the aux input of your ip ready pioneer. Then you could bring the radio into the house via the boombox or home stereo patch. You can bring your xm wherever you are.....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have any ideas wher to buy this?
Should I go to a Best Buy type of store, or does these people overcharge?
Anyone have pics of how the antenna looks on a SS?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the decoder/tuner and wiring to plug it into my headunit now. It is the 900XM. I have the car mount antenna, but have since seen a setup that has it mounted on the back dash. Installation would be so much easier this way. How is the wiring run from the outside of the car on this antenna to the decoder inside the car?

I heard that this antenna has to be run through the rear window molding. That doesnt sound easy. Is it?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MrThump77, you should use a boomerang antenna and slap it on your trunk. LOL :D ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MafioSSo:
MrThump77, you should use a boomerang antenna and slap it on your trunk. LOL :D ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where can I get one? Will that mod also add to my HP? I will show those ricers !

Question still stands.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrThump77:
Where can I get one? Will that mod also add to my HP? I will show those ricers !

Question still stands.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure you can find one at your local swap meet. It'll add so much HP and Torque. Plus you'll be able to get all the XM stations, DirectTV stations, etc.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thump : get an antenna that can be mounted magnetically on your trunklid. OR, if you already have that Terk, just get some STRONG magnetic material and mount it to the bottom of the antenna (where the 3M tape is now on it).

That way, it's removable (i.e. car shows) and you can just run the wiring thru the trunk.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any ideas if it would work on the back dash?
Or does it have to be outsided the glass?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Any ideas if it would work on the back dash?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thump : read the other XM thread that is relatively recent on the Forum. I (and others) covered that....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed the xm setup. I mounted the tuner / decoder in the trunk, under the back dash. Plugged the harness right into the head unit and ran the wiring to the back.

I sat the antenna on the back dash. It works great! There is no interference from the window or the defroster. I can post pics of anyone is curious. Thanks for all the feedback.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The test is to get it way out in the boonies. The area in LA I am sure is inundated with terestial repeaters, and antenna location is not nearly as critical. I find that in the boonies/hills I am having a few dropouts with the antenna mounted on the rear deck. Not enough to actually make me do something about it yet (LAZY!), but it's a problem. More now so that the leaves are coming out, they block the signal when the tree's are close to the road. I just may have to go with a through glass...

Peter

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will be driving to Vegas this afternoon. It will surely be tested out there in the 100 degrees desert today. Ill post the results.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually Thump, the Vegas drive probably ISN'T a good test. At least in the sense that I-15 isn't exactly what you'd call a "tree-lined" highway, especially past Barstow :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vegas is a great test for me, considering I travel there 5 or so times a year. The XM worked great in the desert, and also in the city. It works great in L.A. I would have to say that the back dash install is a success. If there ever was a problem, then its cd time ;) I still have yet to encounter a reception problem. Well, that is a lie. I did lose signal in an underground parking garage ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts