Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, this thing is way loose. Not too street freindly. Cruising at 40 mph rpm's are at 2,000. Converter never seems to lock-up. Can a re-program help with earlier lock-up?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
did you simply swap out the slp in your sig to this one, and it started doing this ?

Did you buy it new or used ? If used it won't stall at the same rpm as on the previous owner's car if you aren't making the same kind of power. This would affect the street manners of your converter. If it's new and you're sure it doesn't stall at the advertised RPM, then Yank should stand behind their product and make it right for you (assuming you specified everything correctly).

Being at 2000 rpm at 40 mph is most likely due to your tune. I'd be very surprised if your current tune commanded 4th gear lockup as low as 40mph. You're probably still in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep , swapped SLP for Yank.. Yank was a used converter. This thing slips constantly, you can watch the gas gauge go down while driving:(

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Just change your shift points in 1st and 2nd gear (slightly higher). Make sure your lockup is programmed for 30mph in D and 40 in OD. I am also assuming you have 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was driving today at 60 mph and 3,000 rpm, it finally did lock up. Still have the 373 gears. I dont know previous owners horsepower. Hate to say it, but I liked the SLP better

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Just get the PCM tweaked you'll be fine. I drive with a Yank SS4000 on the street. It's definitely "looser" than the SS3600 I was running before but after some PCM changes it's much more tolerable.

You definitely have a better TC now than you did.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assume Bryan would know the pcm settings. I will try a reprogram next. Still working on the vibratoin problem also. Might have drive shaft checked next, turning way more rpm now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a new program, much better now. Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
can a tune improve the mileage on a car with a converter? i've been holding off on tuning. I also have a 2.93 gear and a tall tire which isnt helping me...

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Higher shift points in the PCM can keep converter above the slippage rpms. But it really depends on your driving.

The mileage is only lost during city driving. On the highway the converter will be locked and will have less rotating mass (for a 9-10" converter). So the mileage can actually go up slightly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.