Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, read the zillions of posts on this.

Any more current updates or easier fixes to eliminate a Pass Key fault light? On my wife's 1995 Caprice. Just came on solid. No flashing. Right now, car is starting up fine, but I don't want her to get stranded somewhere. Any current hints or tips to the easiest fix? Cleaned tumbler with electrical spray and pipe cleaner already. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Any current hints or tips to the easiest fix?
Nothing new or easy.

Fix strategy: Confirm the key resistance(is it the same on all keys?). Unplug connector at the module and check for key resistance at the plug. No or incorrect resistance fix wire or replace 25 year old tumbler and get new keys with the same resistance. Good resistance check the connector for corrosion or replace module and spend some time determining the replacement module's resistance number for the key.

Bypass strategy: Reprogram PCM. Confirm PCM now works without the 55Hz from the module. Bypass the VATS starter relay. Remove VATS warning bulb.

This is the very short version. The FSM has pages on this.

As most cars are now chipped a insurance investigator will be interested in how a car with a anti theft system could be stolen so easily.(1970s car theft methods will work without VATS)

When I bought my car I got mail order(not ebay) locks for the whole car for about the price of the ignition tumbler. As most locksmiths did not have the ignition key they just charged me for a basic key copy and used the new blank I supplied.

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Without going into the vats or no vats argument or the " resistors work fine for me "
To completly disable vats in a non seo car ,

Reprogram the PCM to disable Vats
Disconnect the vats module and bridge terminals A4 and B5 of the harness plug to the vats module. Leave the vats module unplugged.

Seo cars, just reprogram the PCM to disable vats.

To each their own but the above removes vats from the equation for ever.
Mine, I still have working.

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
If you do not want to reprogram ( not sure of your reasoning) then you will always be at the mercy of the VATS module.
Resistors can take the lock cylinder and key out of the equation, sure.
That said mine is still operational.

Maybe the prudent thing for you is a brand new GM lock and key assembly ?
Or the resistor "mod"
Or a known good SEO VATS module

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car used every day. If I do the new resistor inline thing under the dash will that solve the issue for good and put out the light? Or maybe a disabled VATS module would be the easiest plug and play solution? Needs easiest fix as working 2 jobs. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Sorry can't answer as I do not know if your existing module is OK or not.
Forever , if the module is in play and the pcm is not programed no one can say forever.
I dont believe actual module failure is common though and most issues are key-- lock- wiring related

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was kind of expensive but worked like a charm and is plug and play. Definitely the easiest fix for key and or wiring issues around the steering column/tumbler with VATS. Well made. Yes, I know I could have fixed it for $5 with a resistor kit but I have limited time and my eyesight and patience working underneath a steering column is limited.

1989-2002 GM CORVETTE CAMARO FIREBIRD VATS BYPASS MODULE NEW VBM100! | eBay

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Just a comment for people that want to change the ignition cylinder:

At this time with a little shopping a new ignition cylinder and key would cost under $70.00 USD. I do understand not everyone would want to DIY this job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts