Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You who have there stock oil pressure reading real pressure,by removing the resistor and installing the 0-60# sensor,,,,,What does the gauge read when at idle and driving, hot & cold??? I think I would like a 0-45# sensor so the gauge reads higher...Oldhead...This is the third time I am asking and if I do get a answer I am going to hurt somebody

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Well, since I don't want to get hurt.........

You will probably want a 0-60 sending unit that came on the early 90's C/K trucks or the P30 chassis vehicles. The part number is 12553175. The sending unit won't fit the stock threaded hole so you'll also need a 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter. Many auto parts stores will have them and they're usually made of brass. When you remove the resistor the cold pressure will read about 3/4 of the way up on the gauge and when hot (depending on the type of oil) will drop to about 5/8's on the gauge and maybe a bit less. That's what I've done to the two Impalas and it works great. Hope this helps.

I've never heard of a 0-45 psi gauge but on a cold winters day you would probably peg the gauge on the high end. That's going to look a bit bogus.

Oh and BTW.......its Yoo-hoo. ;-)

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
You who have there stock oil pressure reading real pressure,by removing the resistor and installing the 0-60# sensor,,,,,What does the gauge read when at idle and driving, hot & cold??? I think I would like a 0-45# sensor so the gauge reads higher...Oldhead...This is the third time I am asking and if I do get a answer I am going to hurt somebody
Dont want to see you go out and "hurt somebody" so will do my best. >:)

I have modded my 95 to remove the resistor and just went with the Stock 9C1 sensor which is 0-80 PSI. I also have the Z-28 Cluster which the gauge has numbers of 0, 20, 40, 60, 80 (IIRC) and the needle is about 55 when cold and can drop down to 15 PSI when warm and idleing. The only other sensor I know of that people use in place of the 9C1 Sensor is the Truck Sensor that is listed in the mod. This sensor is rated at 0-60 PSI.

But as you eluded to, this does NOTHING to affect the oil pressure, just changes on the Gauge where the needle points. For example, if your Oil Pressure is 40 PSI....the 9C1 sensor will have the needle in the Middle of the gauge. if using the Truck Sensor, then the needle will be at about 2/3rds over. A 45 PSI sensor will move the needle even further to the right, but again just changing your perspective.

Not sure I've seen one listed or that another is KNOWN to work with the circuitry of the current Cluster/gauge. If it were me, I'd just go with 1 of the 2 (9C1 or Truck) sensors or feel free to try different sensors and hope you can find 1 that works. At least you have an idea of how it should read in relationship to the SWEEP of the gauge needle. Keep in mind that using the Stock Caprice Cluster, you aren't looking at numbers on a gauge, just somewhere in between L and H. But you are changing nothing other then where the needle will line up under certain pressure using a specific Sensor So I guess my question to you would be....Why Bother?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think the best answer is set the needle where you want it by picking the sensor.

In the old days when analog gauges ruled engineers tried to pick ranges that would result in all the needles in a monitoring panel being at the same place. It made it easy to see something that was not in tolerance.

This does not work in vehicles. Gauge positions in Alaska in winter will be different than Death Valley in the summer.

The oil gauge in the clusters is slow to respond compared to a undampened mechanical gauge. It should not "twitch" as much.

The only concern about a 45psi sensor is if it rated for the normal maximum pressure of a LT1. A sensor leak or burst is a major problem. The gauge will survive being "pined". These are made differently than a jewel movement that can be bent or have the coils fried by overvoltage.

Personalty my vote is gauge at the 1/2 during normal running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts