Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Z28 Clusters for '94-'96 Caprice/9C1/Impala SS and '94-'96 Roadmasters

101K views 63 replies 25 participants last post by  juniorwatson 
#1 · (Edited)
PLEASE email me at gmparts0@yahoo.com with any questions or to place an order.

I have been building, installing, and shipping Z28 Clusters for our beloved Caprices/9C1s/Impala SS since April of 2001. Here is a revised post for the Z28 Clusters I currently offer.

For the ’94-’96 Chevy:
I take one of my Z28 Clusters, build my own custom harness so it plugs into your dash connectors, trim the outside of the housing, check and clean all of the bulbs, check the calibration of all the needles, set the odometer to whatever you want. I include a tach signal wire with the correct PCM pin (except the ’96 Impala SS since the car is already wired for the tach signal). Included is a polished (used) lens, and can also install white needles in place of the red needles (think ’96 Impala SS) as an option.

Please note that you lose the Low Washer Fluid, Change Oil, Door Open & Gate Open (wagons) and Low Fuel lamps. You also no longer have a PRNDL with the Z28 Cluster (perfect for floor shift conversions or 6-speed cars). Also, to allow the Z28 Cluster’s oil pressure gauge to display actual oil pressure on civilian cars, you will need to replace the oil pressure switch with a 9C1 oil pressure sending unit, and remove a factory resistor in the wiring harness above the glove box.

Typical Installation

Gray painted gauge separator

Acrylic stick-on PRNDL

Pricing for the Chevy is as follows:
’94-’96 Caprice/9C1 and ’94-’95 Impala SS for $335 shipped (within the 48 States) with used polished lens and paid via US Postal Money Order. $350 if paid via PayPal Friends & Family only.
’96 Impala SS (which includes my purchasing a tach signal divider and building it into the harness so the tachometer displays properly) for $460 shipped with used polished lens and paid via US Postal Money Order. $475 if paid via PayPal Friends & Family only.
Gray painted gauge separator $50.
Fresh white or fluorescent red needles $25.
9C1 oil pressure sending unit $35.

You can save $50 off the above pricing if you already have your own Z28 Cluster and send it to me, I will complete the above listed modifications and ship it back to you.
If you can send me the connectors from a digital B-body cluster you can save an additional $25.

For the ’94-’96 Buick Roadmaster (sedan and wagons):

I take one of my Z28 Clusters, build my own custom harness so it plugs into your dash connectors, check and clean all of the bulbs, check the calibration of all the needles, and set the odometer to whatever you want. I assemble it all with one of my custom faceplates in matte black. I include a tach signal wire with the correct PCM pin, and a used polished lens. I can also paint the faceplate whatever color you can provide me, or cover the faceplate with (stick-on) carbon fiber or woodgrain (to closely match the Roadmaster interior woodgrain). In keeping with the Buick factory gauge look, I can also install white needles in place of the red needles as an option.

Please note that you lose the Low Washer Fluid, Change Oil, CRUISE, Door Open, Gate Open and Low Fuel lamps. You also no longer have a PRNDL with the Z28 Cluster (perfect for floor shift conversions or 6-speed cars). Also, to allow the Z28 Cluster’s oil pressure gauge to display actual oil pressure, you will need to replace the oil pressure switch with a 9C1 oil pressure sending unit (no additional wiring involved in the Buick).

Matte black painted

Gray (stick-on) carbon fiber

Red (stick-on) carbon fiber

Bill Crovo’s installation… check out the woodgrain match

Mockup of PRNDL and CRUISE indicator on a ’93 Z28 Cluster

The pricing for the Roadmaster is as follows:
’94-’96 Buick Roadmaster (Sedan or Wagon) with matte black faceplate for $435 shipped (within the 48 States) and paid via US Postal Money Order.
$450 is paid via PayPal Friends & Family only.
Other (than matte black) painted color faceplate adds $25.
Fresh white or fluorescent red needles $25.
PRNDL installed $75.
CRUISE indicator $75.
9C1 oil pressure sending unit $35

You can save $50 off the above pricing if you already have your own Z28 Cluster and send it to me, I will complete the above listed modifications and ship it back to you.
If you can send me a ’94-’96 Roadmaster cluster (or the connectors from a ’91-’96 Roadmaster cluster) you can save an additional $25.

PLEASE email me at gmparts0@yahoo.com with any questions or to place an order.

Thank you for looking.
Gary

See less See more
#3 ·
My 95 caprice cluster is on the fritz and I have been considering this rather than paying to have it rebuilt. A few quick questions, do I have to hook up the tach and how accurate is the gas gauge?
You do need to run my included tach wire from the PCM to the dash area. There is no tach wire in your car from the factory. I check the accuracy of the needles on all the gauges when I complete a Z28 Cluster build. My bench test set-up allows me to test the functions of all the gauges, and if i find the needles are displaying inaccurately, I reposition them and check them again. My test set-up tells the Z28 Cluster that the 'gas tank' is full, so i calibrate the needle to the full line on the gauge. This will not 'fix' an issue you may have with your fuel level sending unit inside your tank.

Email me at gmparts@nycap.rr.com if you have any questions, or to place an order.

Thank you,
GM

#5 ·
Tim, I replied to your email.

As a reminder to all, that my PM box is usually FULL:

PLEASE email me at gmparts@nycap.rr.com with any questions or to place an order.

Thank you,
Gary

#9 ·
For future reference. I want to do this conversion on my car once I have it running right again.

#10 ·
Quick request, does anyone have a picture of the Z28 clusters with the white needles?

#12 ·
Anyone care to dispel a rumor for me?

Was told I have to make sure to “fix” the tach output from the PCM on ’96 models....that the tach output on a 96 PCM outputs 4 cylinder, while the Z28 cluster expects 8 cylinder. If not fixed the idle will show about 1000rpm too high.

Ever heard such a thing?? Of course it did not say how to "fix" it. Hahaha...

-Mike

#18 · (Edited)
Just got done with my Z28 cluster install in my Roadmaster wagon. Want to thank Gary very much for all the help. He got right back to me and answered all my questions, and is helpful and great to work with.

I had an issue with the oil pressure gauge reading too low when I first installed my cluster. It caused some frustration but the fix was easy. Originally I installed an O'Reilly aftermaket sending unit for a 9C1 Caprice. I swapped that for a Delco sender for a '96 Z28 and it fixed the problem. Sender was $45, so a little pricey, but well worth it. Make sure to pick up a sender socket as well, about $10 at most parts stores.

Oil pressure us fine now!

Before the mod. Here's the old cluster. Bye-Bye Granpa!

A couple other good things to know. The temp gauge gets it's signal from a different location on the engine than the readout on the climate control when in diagnostic mode. In my case the gauge reads a little higher, but that's just because of where it gets it's signal.

A really good upgrade is to swap the Z28 bulbs for 194 bulbs. The Z28 cluster is dimmer than the Roady cluster. Putting the 194 bulbs from the old Roady cluster made the Z-cluster much brighter.

Roadmaster gauges are backlit blue/green, and the Z-cluster is white...unless you get the PRNDL option, which lights up blue/green. I tried adding 194B (blue bulbs) first but it just looked wrong, so I went back to the clear white bulbs. It looks odd the first time you drive at night but after 5-mins you'll be used to it.

The dash panel behind the cluster does need a good bit of trimming to get the cluster to sit correctly, but Gary builds the Roady units using older Roadmaster clusters, so the mounting points are all the same, and once the dash is trimmed correctly, it sits perfect and for all the world looks factory.

This is a great mod and well worth the effort!

-Mike

#19 · (Edited)

Before the mod. Here's the old cluster. Bye-Bye Granpa!
Yes, but 'grandpa' would cruise at 80 MPH, instead of 10.

Must agree, it is a great mod. I have had the Z28 cluster from Gary in the 96 RMW for close to 3 years. Absolutely worth every cent! Tach worked right away with the included wire and connector pin. Also purchased the correct range oil pressure sender from Gary at the same time, since it would likely be difficult to get where I live.

Here is it with the woodgrain version:

#20 ·
Hmm, I've been thinking about this mod. I guess I didn't realize I would loose the P R N D indicators....

So why just 50 bucks less if we send you our clusters? I'm curious. Thanks.

#21 ·
I guess I didn't realize I would loose the P R N D indicators....
You don't have to lose the PRNDL. Gary offers it as an option. The cluster he made for my 96 RMW has it, also 81X11, check the photos above.

#23 ·
I got a cluster done a while back by you I believe. What about just the Acrylic stick-on PRNDL. How much for that with the little needle that goes on the column?

#24 ·
The acrylic stick-on PRNDLs are $50 if ordered with a Z28 Cluster. $60 shipped within the US if not part of a Z28 Cluster order.

Gary

#27 ·
I build the Z28 Clusters specifically for the '94-'96 B-bodies.

You would have to figure out if the LT1 Z28 Cluster would be something you could fit into your '79 Caprice dash. I know nothing about the dash of the '79 Caprice.

Email me if you wish to look into this.

Gary

#31 ·
Sure thing. Just email me. This is my Z28 Cluster thread... see my signature.

Gary

#32 ·
I still receive many Z28 Cluster requests asking for a new GM lens. They are no longer available from GM. Ironically... I am a big part of the reason they are no longer available.

I do polish the used lenses on each Z28 Cluster I build.

Thank you,
Gary

#33 ·
Gary, if you bring them back, I can say I will order 3 for my 96 Impala SS cars
PM if you do, I'm not here to often, so a PM is better.

Thanks!

#36 ·
I am not on the forums much, so emailing me is still the best way to get in touch with me.

Jose... I have no plans to pursue having someone making new lenses, but I am still building Z28 Clusters like crazy here.

ScottLC... I have built a couple of Z28 Clusters for Fleetwood guys... but they were doing full-on dash modifications and needed only the Roadmaster Z28 Cluster...wired for installation into a Fleetwood.

LT1allday... I am still building Z28 Clusters like crazy.

Gary

#38 ·
It's here somewhere :)

#40 ·
I had a small hic-up with my computer. To those guys who have emailed me in the last two weeks and may not have heard back from me yet...please send me another email. My email messages for the past two weeks have gone missing from my computer. I hope to find the missing emails... but 'temporarily missing' and 'computer' are two terms that usually don't go together well.

Thank you,
Gary

#41 ·
I've had my cluster sitting in a cabinet for a couple of years. This mod will be worked and completed when I am home later this year.

Does anyone have or know where I can the stainless steel face that is applicable to this cluster? Hit me up via this thread or a PM thanks in advance...

#42 ·
#43 ·
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.