Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a Z28 gauge cluster conversion on my 96 Caprice. As a newbie, got a couple of questions :confused:

1) I know there is a conversion kit avail from somebody on here, who do I need to contact ?
2) Apart from gauges & above kit do I need anything else ?
3) Roughly how long does swop over take to do ?
4) My Caprice is a 96, do I need a 96 Camaro cluster ? Or will any Z28 150mph cluster work ?

Registered
I want to do a Z28 gauge cluster conversion on my 96 Caprice. As a newbie, got a couple of questions :confused:

1) I know there is a conversion kit avail from somebody on here, who do I need to contact ?
4) My Caprice is a 96, do I need a 96 Camaro cluster ? Or will any Z28 150mph cluster work ?
Answers

1) LS1 MM6 here is his thread http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=257024
2) nope
3) with all the trimming u have to do, about 3 hours if ur drinking lol
4) I believe any Z28 cluster from 93-96 will work (don't quote me on this)

Hope this info helps. I did the same mod into my 95 SS and I love it :D

Registered

Maybe some pictures will help. It's very easy and Garys clusters are great. Attention to details take longer than the instal. Fitting it perfectly makes it look factory. Here's my web page http://www.1finecaprice.com/z28clusterinstal.htm

Registered
why can't you just use a 95 SS cluster?

I don't care how complicated it is, I would try to get a true bolt in solution rather than the Z28 cluster. It just doesn't fit/look right. And I've never even seen one in person...so imagine how bad it looks in real life.

Registered

I don't care how complicated it is, I would try to get a true bolt in solution rather than the Z28 cluster. It just doesn't fit/look right. And I've never even seen one in person...so imagine how bad it looks in real life.
You will need a 96 SS cluster as the 95 is the same digital cluster you have. Yes it is possible. You will need to move the wires around in the dash positions. You will need the factory books to find out what goes where and the tach signal from the PCM will need to be changed to work on the 96 cluster. Alex at PCM performance can help you with that. Time consuming yes, impossible No!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Answers

1) LS1 MM6 here is his thread http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=257024
2) nope
3) with all the trimming u have to do, about 3 hours if ur drinking lol
4) I believe any Z28 cluster from 93-96 will work (don't quote me on this)

Hope this info helps. I did the same mod into my 95 SS and I love it :D
Thanks, better stick to coffee not Buds while I'm fitting lol

Maybe some pictures will help. It's very easy and Garys clusters are great. Attention to details take longer than the instal. Fitting it perfectly makes it look factory. Here's my web page http://www.1finecaprice.com/z28clusterinstal.htm
Thats a very big help, thanks RJI.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8

I was tempted to use a 96 SS cluster, but guess they are harder to find than a Z28 cluster ?

Registered
I was tempted to use a 96 SS cluster, but guess they are harder to find than a Z28 cluster ?
Having been used for only 1 year the 96 Impala SS clusters are hard to find and pricey, but if you have a junk yard run a search for it you should be able to pick one up. Also the 96 cluster had some problems with blinking and you will most likely need to have the repair done at a cost of about $100. Again all things that can be done if you are willing to put the effort and cash out for it.

Registered
Regardless, the "issues" of dealing with the 96 cluster pale in comparison to having huge gaps filled with foam using the z28.

unless you're good with fiberglass and can make yourself a solid bezel...then knock yourself out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts