Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got mine from the local Chevy dealership. I think it was $28 bucks for the pair. I had to give them the part number and I found here on the forum somewhere. Do a search. They install with only one bolt on either side of your front suspension. The ones you have on there now should look like a triangle with the point facing up towards the underside of the car. The ZQ8's are cylindrical with a point at the top. They install with only one nut and a retaining tab aligns with a hole in the suspension. It's really easy to install and a good thing to have if you've got a lowered suspension.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks fellas, now anybody have any links to where i can purchase some?also does anyone have a part number to the zq8's?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=001279;p=1

15956547 is 2nd design ZQ8, urethane foam, much taller and more integrated into the overall spring rate--contacts frame to serve to contol the rate of suspension compression in conjuction with the spring & shock setup.

SEARCH in the Suspension Forum looking for "ZQ8" shows 166 threads with some discussion of these parts--not all reveal the PN, but if you're not familiar with the process, give it a try!

Where to buy....any GM dealer worth their salt. Otherwise, you could start with Dal Slabaugh:

http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=007947

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Note that you have to buy metric nuts for the ZQ8's. The factory bumpstops are SAE.

Also, depending on how high your suspension sits, you may have to trim them. I have not found a concrete answer on how far they should be from the frame, but it seems that people are typically trimming them so they are 1/8" from the frame when your car is sitting level. That is what I did, but I don't know if that is right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Vlad the Impala:
Note that you have to buy metric nuts for the ZQ8's. The factory bumpstops are SAE.
Mine came with new nuts in the box. Good idea to use some loc-tite when you put them on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Vlad the Impala:
Also, depending on how high your suspension sits, you may have to trim them. I have not found a concrete answer on how far they should be from the frame, but it seems that people are typically trimming them so they are 1/8" from the frame when your car is sitting level. That is what I did, but I don't know if that is right.
I have Eibach springs. The bump stops contact the frame and compress just at the tip.

The ride without them was unbearable in NYC. The ZQ8's firmed things up tremendously. Felt like a new car actually.

Getting some new ones this week, the current pair have gotten a little mangled in the nearly 2 years they've been on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got mine from Dal too. They did come with nuts.
I guess it just depends on who was packing that day, unless they stopped supplying them on later units as a cost saving measure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get em from Dal. S.O.B96, use the old nuts from the old bumpstops!
$28 is way worth it even for a stock suspension. :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine didn't come with nuts, so I took one in to Lowes or Home Depot and used the sizing board they have, to figure out what size to get.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm... none of the four pair I've installed have come with nuts, and they all used the stock nut from the original bump stop... which I'm almost certain is a 3/8-16. FWIW, I bought all of mine from Dal. I also have one of these installed as a pinion snubber to protect my Denny's driveshaft. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know if there are different versions but I took the original nut and the new ZQ8 to the hardware store and checked them out on the sizing board and the old nut was definately SAE and the new ZQ8 was definately metric. I could almost get the old nut on but not quite.

I suppose you could just cinch down the old nut and save yourself the .05 for the drop of locktite. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried a metric nut (M10x1.5) on the stud, but it felt loose in comparison to a 3/8"-16. I got the american nut on there with a lock washer now and it's fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.