Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Im confused
! With ST's do you trim the bump stop or allow the frame to rest on it :confused: ? I'm thinking that trimming it would kinda defeat the purpose right
? I have the Belltech bump stops but they are way to short, I felt the front bottom :( out once or twice but only when hitting somewhat of a large bump. I lucked up and got the first gen ZQ8's from a local dealer :D . Help me out guys!
J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine are not trimmed and sit heavily....maybe lay....i dont know whats a better word...
but i dont wanna trim em...cuz so far it rides good and no nose dive

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by mr k gee:
mine are not trimmed and sit heavily....maybe lay....i dont know whats a better word...
but i dont wanna trim em...cuz so far it rides good and no nose dive
Same here. Improved the ride 100%. No more bouncing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I trimmed them about 1/3. The car barely kisses the bumpstops now. I like it that way. Makes the suspension work the way it normally does and never bottoms out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by SSlumpin Imp:
I trimmed them about 1/3. The car barely kisses the bumpstops now. I like it that way. Makes the suspension work the way it normally does and never bottoms out.
Ditto on that. I might have even cut off a bit more. I cut the entire cone portion off and mine also barely touches. BTW, I have Hotchkis springs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really think cutting them will defeat the purpose. Its there to cushion. If I would have cut mine I might as well left the ones on that came with my springs. Just my 2 pennies worth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by CustomSS&30thZ:
I really think cutting them will defeat the purpose. Its there to cushion. If I would have cut mine I might as well left the ones on that came with my springs. Just my 2 pennies worth.
With how drastically my frame was sitting on them, my car set higher and they would wear out way quicker. I wanted more cushion, with no change in ride height. They're still touching, they're just not squishing. IMO, I don't think they were designed to be compressed to the point of not even seeing the cone portion at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by FEssTER:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CustomSS&30thZ:
With how drastically my frame was sitting on them, my car set higher and they would wear out way quicker. I wanted more cushion, with no change in ride height. They're still touching, they're just not squishing. IMO, I don't think they were designed to be compressed to the point of not even seeing the cone portion at all. </font>[/QUOTE]Exactly. The front was sitting higher because of them and it was definitely not right. Bumpstops are supposed to limit your suspension travel so the car doesn't bottom on the frame. Without them being cut, there's only a certain amount that you can drop your car, then the bumpstops will not allow it to go lower. To get the proper spring rate out of you springs, you need to have the springs carrying the full weight of the car at rest. If they're not, then I would say that your spring rate would be different than it should be because of the springs not being compressed to the weight of the car...

Maybe I'm wrong, but it works very well in my car. There's still plenty of cushion in them. I would say it defeats the purpose of the springs by not cutting the stops more than it would defeat the purpose of using the bumpstops by cutting them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i agree...im gonna leave mine because i havent had any problems...with the 10 miles ive driven with them so far
:rolleyes:

plus i wanna make sure my 20s fit....only later will i cut...plus the springs are still settling a lil maybe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok here is my take on the whole thing.... I put them in allowing them to rest on the frame. I noticed an instant improvement in the way the car handled and im not scrapping my drive way when I pull out. However, the car sits a little bit higher in the front now, not to high, just above the tire. I see now that trimming them will bring the car down a bit but as stated above I think I will keep them like they are until the springs fully settle. I would suggest these to anyone rolling in a lowered car, the car has a much less "bouncy" feel, and the ride is very comfortable.
J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by JAYO96SS:
Ok here is my take on the whole thing.... I put them in allowing them to rest on the frame. I noticed an instant improvement in the way the car handled and im not scrapping my drive way when I pull out. However, the car sits a little bit higher in the front now, not to high, just above the tire. I see now that trimming them will bring the car down a bit but as stated above I think I will keep them like they are until the springs fully settle. I would suggest these to anyone rolling in a lowered car, the car has a much less "bouncy" feel, and the ride is very comfortable.
J
Do that it will settle my car looked raised too. Just have to get use to it. Trust you will like it better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.