RPO Codes and Build Sheet - Chevy Impala SS Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14
 
RPO Codes and Build Sheet

So, here's my question. I have a 1980 Caprice (technically the wrong forum I know) Which I have built up with 350hp small block, TH350, posi 8.5" 10 bolt etc etc etc. I have a rear roll bar so I know it's a genuine F41 car BUT. I really want to know what other RPO's were factory on it, I have looked for a build sheet everywhere. It's not visable under the front seats, it wasnt under the rear bench, wasnt under the dash pad, wasnt under the headliner, not under the carpets front or rear.... Is there anywhere it could still be lurking?? I have ALL the history on the car, service book with VIN stickers still stapled to it (service info sticker missing) even the bill of sale with dealer options listed. BUT NO STUPID BUILD SHEET! If I cant find it can I get this info anywhere else? It's a 1980 so dont say check the glove box as its not got the SPID service info in there (pre 84 dark age car) Any ideas??

Last edited by TheBigChevyGuy; 02-18-2015 at 04:35 PM.
TheBigChevyGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:53 PM
Senior Member
 
The Stickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Allentown Pa
Posts: 439
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigChevyGuy View Post
So, here's my question. I have a 1980 Caprice (technically the wrong forum I know) Which I have built up with 350hp small block, TH350, posi 8.5" 10 bolt etc etc etc. I have a rear roll bar so I know it's a genuine F41 car BUT. I really want to know what other RPO's were factory on it, I have looked for a build sheet everywhere. It's not visable under the front seats, it wasnt under the rear bench, wasnt under the dash pad, wasnt under the headliner, not under the carpets front or rear.... Is there anywhere it could still be lurking?? I have ALL the history on the car, service book with VIN stickers still stapled to it (service info sticker missing) even the bill of sale with dealer options listed. BUT NO STUPID BUILD SHEET! If I cant find it can I get this info anywhere else? It's a 1980 so dont say check the glove box as its not got the SPID service info in there (pre 84 dark age car) Any ideas??
There re 2 places usually either in the glove compartment or under the trunk lid.


Neil P.
1996 Federal hearse. CAI, Delphi 3.5 MAF, Aluminum elbow, airfoil, coolant bypass mod, 36lbs injectors, LE 223/231 110 LSA cam, Trickflow pushrods, Comp Cams rocker studs, Lunati 1.6 roller rockers,double spring kit and lifters, F-body heads, Cometic MLS .027 head gasket, Hooker headers, Cloyes timing chain, PowerBond balancer, EGR, air pump and AC delete. Solomon tune. CPT Pro-Race trans, 9.5 inch 3200 stall converter, 9.5 inch 14 bolt rear, 4.10 gear and TruTrac helix gear diff
The Stickman is online now  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:30 AM
Senior Member
 
wytltng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southeast Mi
Posts: 4,753
 
take your vin to the dealer and ask if they can print you off a build sheet. With something that old it might not be available.

Try www.compnine.com
wytltng is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,506
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytltng View Post
take your vin to the dealer and ask if they can print you off a build sheet. With something that old it might not be available.

Try www.compnine.com
I don't think an '80 has a standard 17 digit VIN so compnine isn't going to work. Didn't the 17 start in '81?

Jim B.

'95 9c1, pcmperformance.com 93 tune, Dynomax Ultraflo catback, K & N box filter, LT4 KM, 160 stat, 3.08 Posi.
fbi9c1 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 08:34 PM
Senior Member
 
HuSSker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Black Forest, CO
Posts: 4,049
 
On my '79, I found the build sheet under the carpet, on the driver's side.

'94 Impala SS
#14 of all TRI-9 Impalas
SSRI
Kore3 C5 front brakes
WX3 Performance C5 rear brakes
Hotchkis springs/bars/rear LCAs
Herter tuned
CIA Quad 1 Cermachromed headers
Muffler Man stainless X-pipe/Dynomax UltraFlo mufflers
Street Trends Smoked Euro Head Lights
RMCR rear with Trutrack and 3.42 gears

"Up front there ought to be a man in black"--Johnny Cash
"Is there anything beer CAN'T do?"-- Hank Hill
HuSSker is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Jimpala95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 585
 
Garage
BigChevyGuy,

you can purchase the actual dealer order invoice from GM Heritage Center for $50.They go back to 1977 for B-Chevy.It will contain much info,similar to info on a window sticker and also some of the major RPO codes.

By late 70's into 80's most build sheets and body/chassis broadcast sheets were thrown in the glove box or loose in the interior and when dealer prepped all this paper was tossed.

HuSSker,is your sheet from your 79 a full build sheet,or a body broadcast or chassis broadcast sheet?There's a difference.Just curious.What plant?

I know some GM B car assembly plants used a single build sheet(Janesville,Doraville,Southgate,Tarrytown,etc ....)Many used the 2 sheet system.....a body and a chassis broadcast sheet,which together was the equivalent of a build sheet.

Here's a couple pics: both are from 70 Impala's I owned.One is a full build sheet containing both body and chassis/drivetrain info and the other is a body broadcast sheet.I couldn't find the chassis broadcast sheet in the car.So I had 1/2 of the info contained in the full sheet pic. Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	body1.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	110081  

Click image for larger version

Name:	body.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	110089  

Jimpala95 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 11:09 PM
Senior Member
 
HuSSker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Black Forest, CO
Posts: 4,049
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimpala95 View Post


HuSSker,is your sheet from your 79 a full build sheet,or a body broadcast or chassis broadcast sheet?There's a difference.Just curious.What plant?

I know some GM B car assembly plants used a single build sheet(Janesville,Doraville,Southgate,Tarrytown,etc ....)Many used the 2 sheet system.....a body and a chassis broadcast sheet,which together was the equivalent of a build sheet.

Here's a couple pics: both are from 70 Impala's I owned.One is a full build sheet containing both body and chassis/drivetrain info and the other is a body broadcast sheet.I couldn't find the chassis broadcast sheet in the car.So I had 1/2 of the info contained in the full sheet pic. Jim
Hi Jim,

Mine looks like your first pic, listing some options by name, to include an external speedometer gear adapter mounted on the transmission. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I know it was built in a factory in CA.

As you can imagine, being under the carpet for more than 25 years by the time I ran across it, it was looking pretty rough. I might have to get a fresh one from the Heritage Center.

'94 Impala SS
#14 of all TRI-9 Impalas
SSRI
Kore3 C5 front brakes
WX3 Performance C5 rear brakes
Hotchkis springs/bars/rear LCAs
Herter tuned
CIA Quad 1 Cermachromed headers
Muffler Man stainless X-pipe/Dynomax UltraFlo mufflers
Street Trends Smoked Euro Head Lights
RMCR rear with Trutrack and 3.42 gears

"Up front there ought to be a man in black"--Johnny Cash
"Is there anything beer CAN'T do?"-- Hank Hill
HuSSker is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14
 
Cheers for the help guys, My car was built in Janesville. So I guess this means there is probably no sheet in it? I'm thinking if I cant find it i'll just give up on it. As I have changed the driveline now, it's kinda irrelivant. Just really wanted to know for sure if it was 100% a F41 suspension car and if everything else was original. I'm pretty sure it is just, would have been nice to see it in black n white is all.

Anyone know the part number for EnergySuspension front sway bar mounting poly bushes 1-1/8" size? I have done all mine apart from these
TheBigChevyGuy is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Jimpala95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 585
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuSSker View Post
Hi Jim,

Mine looks like your first pic, listing some options by name, to include an external speedometer gear adapter mounted on the transmission. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I know it was built in a factory in CA.

As you can imagine, being under the carpet for more than 25 years by the time I ran across it, it was looking pretty rough. I might have to get a fresh one from the Heritage Center.
Yep HuSSker I bet as fragile as these sheets are it wouldn't be in good shape.All the Cali plants(Van Nuys,L.A.,Southgate)all used the good one page combo sheet.You're lucky to have one for it,very cool.

Same goes for our 94-96 trim sheets under the right front seats,if not pulled by now,are in bad bad shape from my experience.I've removed many in pieces last few years for others.Like old newspaper crumbling.
Jimpala95 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
ejschultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Schererville, IN
Posts: 1,141
 
Garage
Oddly, I've never looked for my build sheet in my 94. I wonder what kind of condition it's in since you guys are talking about it. My car has spent most of its life, even before I've owned it, in the garage (not sure if that would have any effect on the condition of the paper).

-94 Caprice Classic LS - system, Gary's wires, 200 amp alt, tint, first base/home plate delete, clear corners w/green parking lights, LTZ hood emblem, SS springs
-97 Grand Cherokee TSi - 4" IRO lift, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, sliders, 31s, rear locker, system, tint, cloth, clear corners, Magnaflow stuff
Refs: DesertDawg, 214Texas, QUICKSSILVER, SSon22s, MadMav, gary burton
ejschultz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome