LT1 into 1996 L99 ? - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 66
 
LT1 into 1996 L99 ?

As my other post, picked up a 1996 with a 4.3 L99

Just wondering whats involved in swopping a LT1 into it ? As the L99 is a baby LT1 fitting wont be a prob, but would the engine management systems be different ? And headers ect ? Transmission ?
Would much else need changing or is it a simple swop

After owning a 95 Z28, feel the Caprice needs a bit more bhp !
57peppershaker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Posts: 438
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57peppershaker View Post
As my other post, picked up a 1996 with a 4.3 L99

Just wondering whats involved in swopping a LT1 into it ? As the L99 is a baby LT1 fitting wont be a prob, but would the engine management systems be different ? And headers ect ? Transmission ?
Would much else need changing or is it a simple swop

After owning a 95 Z28, feel the Caprice needs a bit more bhp !
You would have to have the PCM re-programmed. If you have a 96' LT1 PCM lying around, you will have to re-program the PCM for the final drive. I believe 96' L99's had 2.93's.

Also if you do not already have an external transmission cooler, upgrade to one now.

It would probably be a good idea to swap the oil cooler delete adapter from the L99 to the LT1.

-LT-
jcarenza10 is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
4DoorSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beautiful Chester County, PA
Posts: 7,969
 
Been there, done that on my 95 l99 Caprice. When I did my swap, I had the complete drivetrain including the PCM. All Boltons for the lt1 will fit an l99 and vice versa. Not sure if the trannies are different between cars or if its geared or different electronics in the Trans. The l99 uses 19 lb injectors and the lt1 uses 24's. the fuel rail and reg are the same as most Boltons are except for the alternator which is 140 amp as opposed to the 105 amper on the l99.

Engines are pretty much the same, just be sure to get an lt from a 96 since yours already is odb2 and not odb1 setup which uses a crank sensor and 2 additional o2 sensors. The rear in my l99 car was a little 7.5" open rear and when I swapped in a larger 8.5" from another car I also had to use the driveshaft which is a little shorter due to the larger pumpkin.

Last thing to consider is the exhaust. Yours most likely has single exhaust from the back side of the cats. If you want to run a true dual exhaust, you may also want to pick up the heat shields for muffler and gas tank along with hangers for the other side if you add it.

Edit - on the engine oil cooler. Not sure why so many are against these. The only real leak prone area is the rubber hoses on the hard lines. This is an easy fix with some new connectors and different hose of your choice. I added the external 9c1 cooler which bypasses the rad cooler and mounts up front next to the ext. tranny cooler. I think it helps to balance the look of the front a little with both coolers there. My car also did not have the ext. Trans cooler and I added that as well using all stock GM parts.

================================================== =============


'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.

Last edited by 4DoorSS; 05-25-2013 at 01:59 PM.
4DoorSS is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Posts: 438
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorSS View Post
Been there, done that on my 95 l99 Caprice. When I did my swap, I had the complete drivetrain including the PCM. All Boltons for the lt1 will fit an l99 and vice versa. Not sure if the trannies are different between cars or if its geared or different electronics in the Trans. The l99 uses 19 lb injectors and the lt1 uses 24's. the fuel rail and reg are the same as most Boltons are except for the alternator which is 140 amp as opposed to the 105 amper on the l99.

Engines are pretty much the same, just be sure to get an lt from a 96 since yours already is odb2 and not odb1 setup which uses a crank sensor and 2 additional o2 sensors. The rear in my l99 car was a little 7.5" open rear and when I swapped in a larger 8.5" from another car I also had to use the driveshaft which is a little shorter due to the larger pumpkin.

Last thing to consider is the exhaust. Yours most likely has single exhaust from the back side of the cats. If you want to run a true dual exhaust, you may also want to pick up the heat shields for muffler and gas tank along with hangers for the other side if you add it.

Edit - on the engine oil cooler. Not sure why so many are against these. The only real leak prone area is the rubber hoses on the hard lines. This is an easy fix with some new connectors and different hose of your choice. I added the external 9c1 cooler which bypasses the rad cooler and mounts up front next to the ext. tranny cooler. I think it helps to balance the look of the front a little with both coolers there. My car also did not have the ext. Trans cooler and I added that as well using all stock GM parts.
I also added an external transmission cooler to my 94' LS Civilian. However, I ran it through both the original internal radiator and the new external radiator. All three 9C1's in my hands were routed this way so I have to believe this was the stock cooling route.
jcarenza10 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Senior Member
 
4DoorSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beautiful Chester County, PA
Posts: 7,969
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarenza10 View Post
I also added an external transmission cooler to my 94' LS Civilian. However, I ran it through both the original internal radiator and the new external radiator. All three 9C1's in my hands were routed this way so I have to believe this was the stock cooling route.
Same here and i think i remember seeing some where that it is benefitial to still run it thru the in tank cooler as well. I would suspect that the OP's car may just use the in tank tranny cooler in the rad. My 95 civi never had the external Trans cooler. This was one of my first mods many years ago. Even with the l99 engine which I ran for 100k plus miles, I wanted to add a little extra cooling for the Trans.

Iirc - it was a pretty easy addin from a donor car. I just grabbed all the metal lines and brackets for the external setup. It just runs in "series" with the in tank cooler. I may have had to modify one of the existing lines/hoses, but I'm sure it was an easy mod.

================================================== =============


'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
4DoorSS is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: (718)-
Posts: 1,423
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky Dissod on May 25th 2013 @ 01:08 PM View Post
Pretty much what jcarenza said.

96 L99s had EITHER 2.93 (civilian standard), or 3.23 (civilian option, 9C1 standard).

With an LT1, an external transmission cooler is pretty much mandatory. You can probably do better than OEM for less money.

It's a great idea to swap the oil cooler delete adapter from the L99 to the LT1; it's a potential source for leaks and coolant contamination. If you drive very hard, often, you may want to consider 0W30, 5W30, 0W40, or 5W40 synthetic motor oils.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorSS View Post
on the engine oil cooler. Not sure why so many are against these?
The only real leak prone area is the rubber hoses on the hard lines. This is an easy fix with some new connectors and different hose of your choice.
I added the external 9c1 cooler which bypasses the rad cooler and mounts up front next to the ext. tranny cooler. I think it helps to balance the look of the front a little with both coolers there.
My car also did not have the ext. Trans cooler and I added that as well using all stock GM parts.
Not so much 'against', just can't think of a reason to be 'for', unless vehicle is used as hard or harder than a police pursuit vehicle/taxi/etc.

With the OEM fan-on settings, yea, I could see an external oil cooler being a necessity, especially if using cheap 'dino-press' motor oil for extended service intervals, driving hard for extended periods, etc.

I use 0W40 Group4 synth and change it every 5000, the lowest reasonably possible fan-on settings regardless which thermostat I'm using, etc, and while I do drive like a d!ck often, I'm getting better at using the gas & brake less, and coasting more.

The vast majority of people here still using an external motor oil cooler would be wise to repurpose it as an additional external transmission oil cooler, as the transmission would get more longevity/durability out of it than the engine.

1g1bl82p7rr127841 Rust In Pieces, Rest In Peace
They are NOT Lying to You
You are NOT Lying to Yourself
You are Being Lied to - BY Your Self
Alone aka The Last Psychiatrist

Last edited by Marky Dissod; 07-17-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Marky Dissod is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 306
 
Garage
Although additional coolers are always good, why is the external transmission cooler so vital for these cars compared to others? The LT1 isn't so powerful (in stock form, we're talking) as to put that much stress on the transmission, not unless the tranny is not a great design (I've heard it's pretty good in general). I mean, my G8 doesn't have an external transmission cooler, and it has a ton more power rushing through it compared to a '96 Caprice LT1 . Same goes for the oil cooler, really.


1996 Caprice Classic: LT1, B4U, DCM/ruby cloth; stock except for side trim removed
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: maverick silver/onyx cloth; mods: Solo Mach catback + resonators + HFCs, AEM short ram, Livernois ECM/TCM tunes
Turbo301 is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Posts: 438
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo301 View Post
Although additional coolers are always good, why is the external transmission cooler so vital for these cars compared to others? The LT1 isn't so powerful (in stock form, we're talking) as to put that much stress on the transmission, not unless the tranny is not a great design (I've heard it's pretty good in general). I mean, my G8 doesn't have an external transmission cooler, and it has a ton more power rushing through it compared to a '96 Caprice LT1 . Same goes for the oil cooler, really.
The 6L80-E and the 4L60-E are completely different animals. Just like the LT1 and LS3 are two completely different engines. There is no basis for comparison.

-LT-
jcarenza10 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
4DoorSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beautiful Chester County, PA
Posts: 7,969
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo301 View Post
Although additional coolers are always good, why is the external transmission cooler so vital for these cars compared to others? The LT1 isn't so powerful (in stock form, we're talking) as to put that much stress on the transmission, not unless the tranny is not a great design (I've heard it's pretty good in general). I mean, my G8 doesn't have an external transmission cooler, and it has a ton more power rushing through it compared to a '96 Caprice LT1 . Same goes for the oil cooler, really.
I don't know if I would say they are vital. Probably plenty running with just the rad cooler and are fine for many miles. A good maintenance program for fluids changes is most likely all you really need. A plate type aftermarket cooler is most likely the better way to go for cooling if you drive your car hard. For my needs, I prefer the stock style setup for looks and ease of setup since its all factory stuff. The extra cooling and fluid capacity is a plus.

Unless a car is driven hard or used on the track, you would be fine with standard cooling. Even though I don't track my car, I do "feel" the additional cooling can only help and sure doesn't hurt. Is it needed, probably not, but if i have the chance (good used/new parts) to add some extra cooling and it also factory, why not? I even added the ps cooler setup when I swapped my steering box. Again is it needed...no....but I just like to add things like this since its factory and a little extra never hurts.

================================================== =============


'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
4DoorSS is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Senior Member
 
91ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,348
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo301 View Post
Although additional coolers are always good, why is the external transmission cooler so vital for these cars compared to others? The LT1 isn't so powerful (in stock form, we're talking) as to put that much stress on the transmission, not unless the tranny is not a great design (I've heard it's pretty good in general). I mean, my G8 doesn't have an external transmission cooler, and it has a ton more power rushing through it compared to a '96 Caprice LT1 . Same goes for the oil cooler, really.
Like was said, if you're all stock, you DON'T need a cooler. If you do a lot of hard stop and go driving eg nyc cabs, police service, then that is what starts heating up the fluid. It's the converter slip that causes heat. Higher stall converters, yes need more cooling as they generate more heat.
I get out onto the highway before the engine is even up to temp. The tranny will get up to about 150-160 and would stay there all day long as the converter is locked up. It's my normal commute. 1/2 mile after getting off and it's up to 180 if I hit all the lights. I added a cooler because us engineers like a good safety margin if allowed
Here's a good table from TCI. With more and more modern fluids, I'm sure the numbers are even higher these days before there are fluid issues.
http://www.tciauto.com/tc/trans-life-expectancy

Oh, and too cold can hurt. The converter is typically kept from locking up until a certain temperature is achieved.

Last edited by 91ss; 05-27-2013 at 08:39 PM.
91ss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome