Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey / Philadelphia
Need Help here... Picked up a 96 impala and think it may be a 95 or a 95-96 caprice.
I never thought I'd actually be confused about this topic in my life. I just picked up a 96 impala SS. It's off a friend of a friend. If the car is a fraud, i don't think the kid knew or did any of the work.
I think this car is a 95 impala or it is a 95-96 Caprice that just so happened to be black with grey interior. I am mainly leaning towards a 95.
Tell me what you think:
List of shady things about this "96 SS" that makes me think its a 95:
1. The Speedo Cluster does not work. It is a 96 cluster. I understand they go bad, but when I put the key in and put it on the ON position, only like 3 idiot lights come on for a second. CHECK ENGINE not included. My question is, if i were to put a 96 cluster in a 95, what would and wouldn't work in it?
2. The Shifter/center console. It does have a 96 cluster and console in it. Problem is that the SHIFTER assembly is the only thing that is bolted down. The console itself is not bolted down, and i can just lift it over the shifter. I think it was a conversion.
3. There for SOME REASON is a 94-95 steering column in it. It has an aftermarket stainless steel steering wheel. But it has the NUB on the column sticking out where the gear lever would be. Very strange. Don't know why someone would put a 95 column in a 96 impala. Also does NOT have a chip in the key
4. The car was stolen during the period the 2nd owner had the car. I bought the car off of the 3rd owner, so i know it was not his fault. Anyway, the VIN number had to be legally replaced. So he did that. So there is a new VIN Plate in the dash. Its blue. Actually looks like a newer car vin plate.
5. THere are weird body differences. The passenger fender does NOT have a spot for the antenna. Its either been shaved, or maybe the 96 never came with one.
6. The door handles on the driver door and front door have NO keyhole. No spot for a key to unlock and lock your doors manually. Never seen that in my life.
7. Headlights are caprice headlights, and not impala headlights. No black strip on top of the lights.
I am at just a loss here. All the usual suspects are here, and they look STOCK as if it was like this from the dealer. Rims, Springs, Emblems, Trunk Emblems, interior color, interior itself is all impala interior. Auto dim rear view, map lights in back seat, change holder and T/S headlight switch.
Any advice would be great. Thanks