Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Nut-Cuttin' Time - What are the Rules?

810 views 23 replies 0 participants last post by  AdioSS 
G
#1 ·
ImpalaFest is 6 days away and I haven't heard definitively what the class breakdowns will be. I saw that there were not any mileage breakdowns at Reno. Can someone, ie. an ISSCA BOD Member , clarify?

{Even one of you guys who is conveniently no longer in G Man's class, thanks to the mileage breakdowns you came up with! ;) }

Please post reply here, or send info to:
Removing-mods-fast-to-drop-a-class-below-G-Man@hotss.com

SSee you in Arlington!

G
#2 ·
I posed the very same question recently to our Pres. (HOSS) and am still waiting on an answer. The decision is not an ISSCA one to make being this is not "THE NATIONAL EVENT"

Or so we keep being told.
I have confidence in our HOSS heads to make the show fair. Right guys????

G
#8 ·
Stand by guys, this is changing almost on a daily basis, as everyone reacts to the events of last week. I'm only the messenger, but to answer a few of the common questions:

Robert is using a "modified ISSCA classification" system, year/mileage/mod level.

00-02 mods = Stock,
03-11 mods = Mild Street
12-20 mods = Street
> 20 mods = Modified

Yeah, two mods is still stock, with no point deduction.

I don't know the mileage breaks yet; it will follow the ISSCA style (three classes, some number of miles per year) but may be a higher number of miles per year.

Historically small classes will be combined, just as we have done in the past. For example, there are currently only a handful of non-Impalas registered. Unless a large number of one type (wagons, 9C1s, Roadmasters, etc) show up, they will all end up in one class. That's not our preference (the show coordinator HAS a wagon and I'm sure he'd love to see a wagon class), but just the way the numbers work out.

Still LOTS of classes, LOTS of awards, LOTS of fun. And don't forget the drags on Saturday evening, and the autocross on Sunday.

There will be some sort of "statement" before too long concerning the impact of last weeks events on the show, our objectives for this year's event and any changes from the "normal ImpalaFest routine."

Thanks for your patience, thanks for your enthusiasm and thanks for keeping us in your plans!

G
#10 ·
Thanks for your concern, Impala Land.
I'm fowarding this post from the hoss list and NAISSO digest for IF2K1's car show coordinator, Robert Leslie.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS POST, PLEASE SEND YOUR QUESTIONS TO ROBERT AT: PRESIDENT@HOSSIMPALA.COM
Thanks, people. Please take time out and read this, with an open mind and ImpalaFest hope that ya'll can find this change understandable at the moment. Thanks again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Impalafest Family,

HOSS would like to inform everyone that we intend to have this year's
event just like we have had this event in the past. We want everyone
who can make it to Arlington Texas this weekend to come on! Barring any
changes on the National scene, we will have all of the events we have
promised. Remember that this could be just the thing to relax and take
your mind off of your worries. So come on, we will have a great time.

Due to the happenings of last week, we have decided to make a few
adjustments to accommodate the public mood. We are all members of this
big Impala Family and with last week's attack, none of our minds have
been on detailing our cars and coming to Arlington. I know that no one
wishes to miss seeing friends, hanging out, and let's not forget the
competition of ImpalaFest. For this year only, we have decided to let
the Car Show Competition be participant judged. In this way, we can
lessen the strain on everyone, enjoy the cars, enjoy our friends, and
help each other. Just like family. This change is not meant to lessen
the competition, but lessen the pressure while increasing the fun. So
come to ImpalaFest, clean your car, hangout with your extended Impala
Family while enjoying some fine cars. Pick your favorite cleanest car,
go drag racing, and run in the Autocross, but most importantly, have a
great time!

As some of you know, ImpalaFest has adopted the suggestions of ISSCA's
Car Show Rules. These rules were used to classify cars at Dreamapalooza
and seemed to work fine. A lot of thought went into these rules to make
events fairer for everyone. By eliminating the color classification and
replacing it with a mileage breakdown, we have taken away that old
excuse "how can I compete with that guy who never drives his car."
Daily drivers will complete with daily drivers. That's fair!
ImpalaFest will be a chance to test this idea even further. The
ImpalaFest mileage breakdown will be as follows:

Occasional Driver less than 3,500 miles X no. of years old of your car
Frequent Driver more than Occasional Driver but less than Daily Driver
Daily Driver more than 12,000 miles X no. of years old of your car

EXAMPLE: A 1994 Impala would have this mileage:
Occasional Driver less than 24,500 miles (3,500 miles X 7 years old)
Frequent Driver between 24,500 and 84,000
Daily Driver more than 84,000 miles (12,000 miles X 7 years old)

Notice that there are three mileage classes just the way there are three
Impala colors. There will be just as many classes at ImpalaFest as in
the past. And the trophies are awesome.

Every year, HOSS donates a portion of the profits from ImpalaFest to a
HOSS favorite charity (Beat the Heat, Toys for Tots). A portion of this
year's profit will be donated to help the families of the victims of the
terrorist attack. So, come celebrate the freedoms we have with your
Impala Family this weekend.

See you Friday!

Robert A. Leslie
President HOSS Impala Club
President@hossimpala.com

G
#12 ·
I can understand the change in the way the vehicles are judged.

I really DO NOT understand why the mileage has been changed.

The center spreads are much too great!

Look at the 1996 area:
Less than 17,500 miles.
Between 17,500 and 60,000.
Over 60,000 miles.
So a car with 59,501 miles on it will be going up against a car with 17,501 miles. Lots can happen in 42,000 miles of driving.

As I have stated before, the center spread is MUCH too great!

Why change the mileage four days before the show??

Why not stick with the ISSCA miles???????

A copy is being sent to Robert Leslie.

G
#13 ·
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the Impalafest show after all. Wanted to show what a working wagon looked like. ;)

I am brand new to the scene. I think that it is important to work towards consistency on the classes and rules. My opinion is that it would have been better to go with ISSCA rules and classes.

When I go to kayak/canoe races, there are always a couple that are changing classes at the last minute and whose classes don't match the other races. It is always a pain in the rear for us racing or even trying to fill out the entry form. I see a strong parallel here.

My $0.02.

G
#14 ·
Don't get me wrong...

But "People's Choice" with around 200 cars???

Holy $hit !!!

People have enough trouble at our HOTSS CruiSSe with around 50 cars. This sounds like a big cluster &uck in the making. I knew 'basically' what type of show I was going to last Monday. After Tuesday, I lacked a bit of motivation, but then I had something to look forward to: one helluva show in Arlington!

I'll still be there, no doubt.

If HOSS is short of judges, that's one thing. Changing the whole format the week of the show is pretty drastic IMO.

Oh well, HOTSS will still win the award for "Club Participation" at The Lodge Thursday night...

And, we have the reigning King and Queen of the "Breathalyzer Olympics" returning this year...

SSee you Thursday!!!

G
#16 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoosker:
Don't get me wrong...

But "People's Choice" with around 200 cars???

Holy $hit !!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto.

I know that there is no way I'll be able (and to be perfectly honest - have the inclination) to look at every single car in a detailed manner, keep track of which cars are in which class, and vote in a way that is fair to every participant. Like Hoosker said, it's tough just keeping up with 50 cars at the HOTSS show.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>This change is not meant to lessen
the competition, but lessen the pressure ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds more like somebody (or several sombodies) is in for the mother of all migranes. I know there have been more important things on folks minds than cleaning their cars but... well... <shrug>

That being said, I will be at Impalafest and I am very much looking forward to seeing all the good folks and their great cars. I'm sure Robert and all the rest of the HOSS guys will do everything they can to make things go smoothly. Last year was my first Impalafest and they did an awesome job!

G
#17 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>For this year only, we have decided to let
the Car Show Competition be participant judged. In this way, we can
lessen the strain on everyone, enjoy the cars, enjoy our friends, and
help each other. Just like family. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to echo what Hoosker said........
We have a tough time each year(with just 50 cars) just getting people to turn in their voting sheets. The HOSS Impalafest is a fun, family event every year. You don't need to fix a well oiled machine. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Due to the happenings of last week, we have decided to make a few
adjustments to accommodate the public mood. We are all members of this
big Impala Family and with last week's attack, none of our minds have
been on detailing our cars and coming to Arlington<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that everyone is concerned about adding stress to us with the events of the last week, but I thought it was best to return to our normal routines.?. I am sick about the WTC disaster, but we all need to return to our lives and deal with any new information as it comes along.

As for the show, I'll be there. I was looking forward to the friendly, competitive rivalries that have gone on over the past few years.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Changing the whole format the week of the show is pretty drastic IMO<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Enough in our lives have now been changed forever.

G
#18 ·
A popularity contest
The best cars rarely win this type of show.
It's who and how many you can get to vote for you. BAD idea

Maybe I'll print up some cards or buttons to solicit votes.

Just pass out candy, that works. ;)

G
#20 ·
I'm genuinely surprised at you guys, especially those who seem to feel like these last minute changes were done just to piss you off.

We've always had a few ImpalaFest participants cancel every year, that's part of the car show biz and is expected. And after the attacks on NY and DC we certainly expected to see a few more than usual. What no one anticipated was that our show judges would cancel.

At the last minute, the guys who are putting ImpalaFest together found themselves with about half the judges they needed. The judges who were still coming couldn't do the job by themselves, not even by doubling up classes, not even by taking half as long to judge a car. People complain that the judges don't spend enough time admiring their cars as it is, imagine the outcry if we cut that in half. ;)

These judges are all volunteers and they don't HAVE to come to ImpalaFest, especially if their job or their home situation, their travel arrangements, their anxieties or whatever keeps them away. Since no one expected anything like this, there were no contingency plans to call in highly paid professional judges, or anything like that. Without enough judges, it kinda worked out to either participant judging or NO show.

You think you are unhappy about the turn of events? Imagine yourself as the ImpalaFest show coordinator... These guys, and I'm not one of them I'm just a tired old "insider" who sees what is going on, are doing everything possible to give you the best event possible, under some very difficult circumstances. They deserve a little more consideration and maybe a couple fewer cheap shots.

Is this participant judging what we want? No... but it's what the circumstances stuck us with. Will we ever do it again? Not if we can help it! :D

Come on up (or down or over) to Arlington and help us make some lemonade out of this current crop of lemons. You’ll have a good time regardless of the type of show judging, and you’ll get to hang out with a group of people who understand you better than most.

G
#21 ·
Wasn't aware of a judging bail out. Even though I would have liked to sit this one out I will volunteer to judge (a small class) ;) Any body else care to join me so we can do this thing right

I guess it's put up or shut up time :D

G
#23 ·
Dan wrote:
You think you are unhappy about the turn of events? Imagine yourself as the ImpalaFest show coordinator... These guys, and I'm not one of them I'm just a tired old "insider" who sees what is going on, are doing everything possible to give you the best event possible, under some very difficult circumstances. They deserve a little more consideration and maybe a couple fewer cheap shots.

Dan Wrote<snipped>
I'm just a tired old "insider" who sees what is going on, are doing everything possible to give you the best event possible, under some very difficult circumstances.

One more of Dan's snippets for the road:
under some VERY DIFFICULT circumstances.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, Dan
Under the tight circumstances. WE ALREADY got Impalas coming in from out of town, posted up at the host hotel parking lot as we speak :D They are STILL ready to have a complete FUN ImpalaFest weekend. It's not to late to join us. The registration table will be open tomorrow from 12pm to 7pm.
And it wasn't JUST the judging situation either, fellas and fellettes, that our car show coordinator was dealing with guys. But I'm tired of boring ya'll to death with long notes. Be ready to have some fun this weekend. It's all for you. The ImpalaFest crew stuck out our necks "big time" to keep this show alive, this week "FOR YOU"
And when the ImpalaFest car show attendees see the show trophies for this year, they will understand why we refused to do a "no show". To everybody that's on their way to Arlington, Tx, have a safe trip! It's gonna be fun, as usuall! And don't you DARE underestimate the Impalafest attendees when it comes to participant judging. So, don't stop rubbing the clear coat off your car!
Keep rubbin and get down here!
<logging off. time to get the show on the road>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.