Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Starter problem

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  nefariouSS 
#1 ·
I bought a new starter from power master. The pinion isn’t disengaging after start up. There is clearance. No shims were on the stock unit so installed with no shims and there’s a loud wind. Used the shims provided and loud wind and teeth barely touching so potential for breaking. Any ideas? Thank you

#2 ·
if there were multiple shims and you used them all...might want to pull 1-2 of them to "split the difference".

Have not used one of those mini starters. I have the "vette" starter which is a gear reduction starter. Autozone for about $120 new. It is smaller than the stock starter but I don't think is quite as small as the PM.

#4 ·
my 96 has the 250 starter .this was built in sept of 1995. so some time in 1996 GM changed the starters to the 260 ..

I measure the distance from the flywheel teeth to the starter teeth I set it to about .140 inches . cranks very quiet. I had to add some shims to get the gap this amount..
IMO starter in cold made more crank noise now it is very quiet.

oem starter had no shims ..

never used corvette starter .......I did try the 260 but did not work properly very loud..

if its too far out and no shims must be bad starter drive. too close it will not crank // bind up not release ..

#5 ·
I just asked for a 96 Vette starter but any 94-96 Vette starter will work as they are the same

Been years since I got mine and even though it is a new starter IIRC there still was a core charge...so I just brought my old starter back a few days later as they clearly look different..although some counter guys may not even notice

smaller, lighter, cheaper than original starter and it is a off-set gear reduction type vs the stock permanent magnet gear reduction type

My higher compression than stock motor finally killed my original starter so I got this one as many others have also

#7 ·
x2 on using a Vette Starter. Have one that was bought used years ago and is still working great. So much lighter and they sound better too.

#10 ·
Good call, I think you'll be happy with it. Much easier to install/remove as it's way easier to handle too.

If not familiar with the install of this, just be advised that you may find the Battery cable a little short and need to check the frame clamps and push a little more of the cable toward the starter. Also, the opening in the Inspection Cover on the Trans will be filled a little less by this starter, but dont worry it will be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.