Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Body bushings

7K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  1low96ss 
#1 ·
Hello guys can someone please point me in the direction of where the body bushings are located I need to do that. Also, if there are neat freaks like me can you also point me in the direction of someone or a topic where they talk about getting new hardware for important stuff to replace crappy bolts that like to strip off easily. such as thread and pitch so i can get new bolts for certain things. Im asking alot but thank you anyways

#2 ·
Not perfectly clear what you're driving at on the fasteners, but I'll start. Search will bring up recommendations from guys on their fave supply houses:
https://www.boltdepot.com/Flange_bolts_Full_thread_(IFI-111)_Grade_8_steel_plain_finish_3_8-16.aspx

I saved a good lead for other hardware:
https://cliphouse.com/index.aspx
Any decent body/paint store will have selections of fasteners and such. And even the car part chains have Dorman boxes behind the counter to go with the HELPS aisle.

In all truth most home builder stores even have pretty good selections of Gr8 nowadays. Frankly I haven't seen much poor quality hardware on our cars. The practices like using plastic for 'bolts' on the grill with tin speednuts is just typical 'inexpensive Chevy' design.

For body bushings most all NOS is gone now and guys have to go with the black or red poly ones from the speedshops. I vaguely recall one kinda recent post where a guy might have found a crossover GM or other maker that matches close to our bushings. If you want specifically the size and lengths of all the bushing bolts then there are several threads with just that info too.

Get more specific and others can help from there.

#4 ·
Honestly you're right i jumped my main question and made two. My first is the location of all body mounted bushings if possible, my car needs them all done, and so I heard of people installing new bolts along with the new body bushings and was wondering if anyone else upgrades bolts. Thank you for your time

#5 ·
FSM is great on this subject......................... but no OEM unless you can pry some loose from a hoarder.

#6 ·
I just replaced all of mine with rubber ones for a 73-77 chevelle...here is a link for the kit I used: https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/G240628/

I also got all of my bolts from Home Depot. Only problem I had was the bolt for position #8 passenger side broke off from rust so I had to do some drilling for a new hole, but otherwise everything else was good to go

Reactions: 4DoorSS
#13 ·
What were the thicknesses of the bushings supplied in the A-body kit? Was there any code molded on the outside like factory ones? I like this option as I do not want to run urthane ones and they will transmit less noise/vibration. I seem to remember there being a bolt kit on summit but i believe it is out of production now. maybe mcmaster-carr if you want similar to factory fasteners?

#7 ·
Aha!

So you might be 'that guy' who found the good hack. Seems fitting, those mid-70s A-bodies were almost as big and ugly as ours are.

#10 ·
WAY back when parts were available, especially through "Dal", there was a write up about body mounts by Scott Mueller. Many of us back then bought the then available various "colored" rubber mounts and also added the ones that were missing on the "SS" cars

IDK how the A body ones fit but this is the Mueller write noting size (thickness) of the then available GM mounts and his recommended method of install.

"You will want to install the 7/8" (pink) lower body mount cushions at locations 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6, replacing the flat washers or existing 5/8" soft cushions. Finally you will also want to install 3/4" thick (dk green) cushions at the number 7 locations. Again note that location 5 uses no lower mount whatsoever.
Here are the installation instructions:
1.) While this CAN be done without even jacking up the car, it will be easier (especially if you are doing this for the first time) if you raise the car and put it on jackstands.
2.) Using a 15mm socket and 6" extension on a standard 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet, remove the #1 (front) body mount bolts and large washers (or existing soft cushion w/integral washer) from both sides of the frame. They are accessed through a large 2-1/8" hole in the bottom of the frame.
3.) Slide the new cushions over the bolts, and insert each bolt and cushion up through the hole in the frame and into the threaded hole in the body. Tighten the bolts to 30 ft-lbs.
Note that the FSM calls for 52 ft-lbs, but I have found that the threaded holes in the body like to strip(!), and 30 ft-lbs. works extremely well with far less of a chance of stripping out the hole. If you do strip the threads in the hole, you will likely have to use an oversized bolt, as it is difficult to repair those threads.
4.) Repeat the procedure for the next location on both sides of the frame. Work your way down from mount #1 through #7, doing both sides each time. This will prevent any possible body movement or misalignment during the procedure. Remember that the pair of thinner 3/4" (dk green) cushions are to be used in the #7 position, all other positions work best with the thicker 7/8" (pink) cushions."

#11 ·
I can't attest for ride quality yet since I don't have my motor back, but hope to soon within the next couple of months. Not the kit doesn't come with the radiator mount bushings, those are a separate kit. expect to pay $200ish for everything versus around $120 for the polyurethane ES kits

#12 ·
If you're looking for the specs of any fastener on the car, the b-body parts manual is the best source I know of. It'll give you diameter, length and thread pitch and possibly also the grade of virtually every fastener on the car. Somewhere there's a PDF of the entire manual, but I don't think it's anywhere on this forum. I did find a link from somewhere on this forum though, so it's out there. I have a copy saved on my computer at home, but at the moment that computer is apart for repairs and a rebuild. But it's out there and if I don't track down the link, someone else likely will know where it is.

#14 ·
I did some searching and found these as well:
https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/part/1976/chevelle/hardware-body-bushings-tools

Can buy full kit or individual pieces. Part numbers have GM part number for interchange. They do not make the "green" 457917 bushing though. I also read that the 73-77 chevelle guys would use the 77-96 b-body bushings before there was a kit avaiable. Would be cool if we could get a kit together for B-bodies. I would be interested in what rubber they use vs original.

#23 ·
The body mount bolts are M8x1.25 flange head

The length you'll have to determine by removing some. On my roadmaster wagon, there were some that were longer than others if I remember right (it's been a few years...). All the bolts came out for me (without a torch :)) so hopefully you'll be as lucky.

If you get them to start to turn, don't be afraid to tighten it back up again and work it back/forth to "clean" the exposed threads at the top of the bolt rather than just try to power through.

Good luck!

#24 · (Edited)
Here ya go. These cover all but position #3. Position #5 doesn't use a bolt. https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-...ing.html?PNC=93d41d815027ef74b9ea658f8580eb59 I bought some awhile back. I also snagged some of the spacers GM #6262234. I got those NOS off of Ebay. I just read your last post. It looks as if the kit you got is a direct replacement for the Impala. I got the same kit except I have a 9C1 so I have the radiator mounts.

Mark: Snowman-33

#26 ·
Hey, always willing to help when I can. About the #3 spot, that bolt is a different length. There are several posts about it on here. I can't remember if it's shorter or longer. I'm sure if you look you will find it. The quality of the bolts I posted is OEM from GM.

Mark: Snowman-33

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.