Well, with 90K on the clock, 30K in the last 2 years as a daily driver
, I had some driving "symptoms" that I just lived with. My relevant mods are:
HAL/QA1s, body bushings, moog idler arm, recent alignment, 275/40 tires.
THe QA1s and body bushings went on about 2 yrs ago with not as much of an effect as I would have thought they should have had. I didn't get vast improvements in front end response, in my opinion.
Also, I didn't notice any change with the addition of body-bushings. Maybe that should have told me something.
Symptoms back then were:
wandering in road ruts-- idler arm helped but I chalked it up to the wide tires
poor response in the steering wheel (play or slop)
Metal to metal rattle in front end over bumps. Seemed to go away with firm brake application. (makes sense now since the suspension would be loaded)
"floatiness" in front on hard corners, even with QA1s firmed up somewhat, but that would usually result in chatter, loss of road holding, not good.
Definite visable smoosh in end link bushings, but didn't "look" that bad.
After re-doing the o-rings in the driver brake caliper and reclinching my pads, I decided that could not be the cause, so I read some posts here and ordered a set of:
Energy Suspension 9.8123 black end links from AZ for 20 bucks.
20 minutes to install to 14.5 lb tq after busting off the old bolts and I HAVE A NEW CAR!
-car doesn't dip in the front as much on turns
-much more responsiveness, turn in.
Basically, it was like having a sway bar again!
Here is a tip for installing:
Old end link sleeve: about 2 1/4", New sleeve: 2" long. I used a big C-clamp to hold the sway bar down while starting the first nut. Now that I did this mod, the easiest thing to do would be to disconnect both endlinks first, then you should be able to move the swaybar into position with no problem. It was a piece of cake. Sway bar is still pretty parallel to the control arm so I'm happy with this ES part # even though there are other sleeve lengths available.
I didn't see any posts specifically running through this mod, and decided to post my results so anyone with 60K plus makes it a point to do this cheap, effective mod.
Incidentally, besides being rusted so bad the threads were stripped, the end link bolts were worn about 1/3 of the way through.
Best part is no more crappy sounding rattles when going over bumps.
HTH someone trying to decide if endlinks are worth R&Ring.