6.0 4l80 swap - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 8
 
6.0 4l80 swap

I am sure it is on here someplace but in my searching i have not been able to find it. I have a 94 Caprice with a worked lt1 that i am done with. Bought a 2003 Chevy Express the other day and would like to swap the motor and tranny into the Caprice. I assumed someone has done this build before and might be able to prevent me from reinventing the wheel. The plan right now is KDS motor Mounts, LS1 Oil pan and a new tranny crossmember so i can get the drive train bolted in. Then i hope to do the rest of the work over the winter to have the car ready for next April when it is 20 years of ownership.

Things i have questions one.
What crossmember works with the KDS motor mounts?
Best oil pan to use on a budget?
OBD1 LT1 to OBD2 LS what issues?
Anything special to put in the 4l80?

Not trying to be a jerk but if you have comments on why not just leave the lt1 or the 4l60 it not what i want anymore plain and simple. Really just looking to not waste any more money then i have to on this swap.

If i posted in the wrong area i am sorry.

Thank You for any help.
cor1987 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Blue Wail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: EFI Performance, MD
Posts: 5,202
 
Send a message via AIM to Blue Wail
Truck engine needs a cam and head swap or it won't be any more powerful than LT1.
TrickFlow has some cams less than $300 for LS. Get some 5.3 heads to boost compression.
You'll also need an LS car intake manifold to fit the motor in the Impala bc truck intake is too high.
In addition, you'll need all the accessories off of the van and headers.
SpeedEngineering makes a good inexpensive set of headers from LS swaps.

I'd also consider replacing the pistons with flat tops since it is the lower compression LQ4.

Nab

Last edited by Blue Wail; 05-22-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Blue Wail is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 8
 
stock lt1 I thought was 260 hp stock 6.0 is 300 stock will I not notice the increase in power for some reason?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
cor1987 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
 
KW Baraka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: South Central Texas....By Way of the South Side of Chicago!!!!!
Posts: 20,250
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cor1987 View Post
stock lt1 I thought was 260 hp stock 6.0 is 300 stock will I not notice the increase in power for some reason?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
The total cost/effort of a LSx swap for 40hp gain is.....depressing.

As Nab stated, get new pistons/cam/heads for power.

A nice combo with compression around 10.5:1 to 11:1 can easily get you about 425 HP.....to the wheels.

That's about twice the power you have right now.

Jus' sayin'.

KW

1996 BBB SS, 398ci Solid Roller LT4, TorqHead 24x Conversion


1995 DCM SS, LS3, V-max 90mm TB, Lingenfelter GT1-1 cam, Headman 1 7/8 LT Headers, 2 1/2" cat-back, 3200 Circle-D TC, 3.73 gears -- 493HP/434TQ @ the wheels (Daily Driver)


2014 Chevy SS; Low Lash Solid Roller 429ci LS3 -- 548HP/464TQ @ the wheels....

KW Baraka is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Blue Wail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: EFI Performance, MD
Posts: 5,202
 
Send a message via AIM to Blue Wail
As a comparison, a stock LT1 will make over well over 300 HP with headers and fresh valve springs.

Nab
Blue Wail is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:07 PM
Senior Member
 
capriceutah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: S.L,UT-North of Bo Huff RIP and Vegas
Posts: 1,346
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cor1987 View Post
I am sure it is on here someplace but in my searching i have not been able to find it. I have a 94 Caprice with a worked lt1 that i am done with. Bought a 2003 Chevy Express the other day and would like to swap the motor and tranny into the Caprice. I assumed someone has done this build before and might be able to prevent me from reinventing the wheel. The plan right now is KDS motor Mounts, LS1 Oil pan and a new tranny crossmember so i can get the drive train bolted in. Then i hope to do the rest of the work over the winter to have the car ready for next April when it is 20 years of ownership.

Things i have questions one.
What crossmember works with the KDS motor mounts?
Best oil pan to use on a budget?
OBD1 LT1 to OBD2 LS what issues?
Anything special to put in the 4l80?

Not trying to be a jerk but if you have comments on why not just leave the lt1 or the 4l60 it not what i want anymore plain and simple. Really just looking to not waste any more money then i have to on this swap.

If i posted in the wrong area i am sorry.

Thank You for any help.

Use the F body pan

You could use sloppy stage II cam
https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...sloppy-stage-2

PAC 1218's
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-LS-Valv...ty!84121!US!-1

You may want to look for some 243 or 799 heads off of a new 5.3 truck motor.

This guy is talking about making a crossmember and I know clearimage was making one. Most likely you will need to ghetto fab
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulle...-supports.html

95 Caprice Wagon 100 K daily driver.
72 Chevy C10 1/2 ton longbed parts hauler-Sold
72 Buick Skylark 350 56K-Rollin Cragar SS's now Buick 455 in the engine bay,
capriceutah is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 8
 
okay not positive I am going to but if I do anything I would consider heads and a cam. I know what casting number heads to look for any info on what cam would work well and possibly hp numbers?

Last edited by cor1987; 05-23-2019 at 10:32 PM.
cor1987 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:28 PM
Senior Member
 
capriceutah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: S.L,UT-North of Bo Huff RIP and Vegas
Posts: 1,346
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cor1987 View Post
okay not positive I am going to but if I do anything I would consider heads and a cam. I know what casting number heads to look for any info on what cam would work well and possibly hp numbers?

Full disclosure

I have everything for my LS swap but mine is not done yet.
I just cant see taking a good running LT1 car apart.

The LT1 is a good motor but the resources for tuning and power parts are getting scarce.

If the engine decides to bow out gracefully, then I have a cammed 6.0 with 243 heads on deck


If you can get the heads cheap, like I mentioned do 243's or 799 casting. Otherwise don't worry about it. 317 flow well but the they are a lower compression head.
Here is a cam/springs only only LQ4 with stock 317

You can also decap the stock injectors and they come out to be about 75 lbs. Have them tested after decapping. Here is an instructional video


If I was going to spend big money on anything it would be a converter for your new to you 4L80e. They are like a grand for a good one

95 Caprice Wagon 100 K daily driver.
72 Chevy C10 1/2 ton longbed parts hauler-Sold
72 Buick Skylark 350 56K-Rollin Cragar SS's now Buick 455 in the engine bay,
capriceutah is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 8
 
the reason I am doing the swap is the condition of my lt1 245000 on it runs poor think it's tuning issues. just can't see spending more money into it. I bought the express van for 700 so not to bad for money spent so far plus the tires on the van are like new and way better then the ones on my truck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
cor1987 is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Senior Member
 
gbhs72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lawton, Ok
Posts: 1,329
 
Maybe this will help you out. MuscleRods 91-96 Impala LS Conversion Kit

Mark: Snowman-33

93 9C1: Work & Cubic Ca$h This started with a new headlight and fender Celeritas In Conficiendo
gbhs72 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5.3 / turbo / 4L80 swap Master slacker Engine Performance 1 02-19-2016 08:38 AM
4l80 sticking in 2nd gear Klez Drivetrain 0 11-29-2011 11:57 AM
5.3 vortech 4L80 swap in 78 caprice 1978heavychevy Drivetrain 2 03-09-2009 07:06 PM
4L80 or T56? jerseykid96 Drivetrain 20 04-07-2008 11:09 PM
electronic 4L80 or nonelectronic 4L80....which one?? mexSSican Drivetrain 8 04-21-2002 07:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome