Bad key or ignition? - Chevy Impala SS Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
95DoubleBubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: brooklyn, MD
Posts: 677
 
Bad key or ignition?

I bought my 94 fleetwood in August 2015, that october I bought and installed a vats bypass from ebay. Lately when I go to start the car it acts like it tripped the vats system but the light doesn't stay on like it did befor the bypass. Usually takes a few times of removing and inserting the key before it will fire ul.

Big Phil, certified lowrider-aholic

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g134/lowriderphil/
95DoubleBubble is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
4DoorSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beautiful Chester County, PA
Posts: 7,974
 
Just spitballing here, but you may want to bypass your bypass. Maybe there is an issue with how it was installed or something not working right with it. Why did you bypass it in the first place? Was it due to similar issues and maybe that issue is still present? Again, just some wild guesses.....

================================================== =============


'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
4DoorSS is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
95DoubleBubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: brooklyn, MD
Posts: 677
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorSS View Post
Just spitballing here, but you may want to bypass your bypass. Maybe there is an issue with how it was installed or something not working right with it. Why did you bypass it in the first place? Was it due to similar issues and maybe that issue is still present? Again, just some wild guesses.....
the same reason I assumed everyone else does it, it started to do the problem where you start the car and the system woul trip and make you wait to start. I bought one of those pre-assembled bypass kits off eBay that you just plug directly into harness for the vats

Big Phil, certified lowrider-aholic

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g134/lowriderphil/
95DoubleBubble is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Jimpala95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 587
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95DoubleBubble View Post
I bought my 94 fleetwood in August 2015, that october I bought and installed a vats bypass from ebay. Lately when I go to start the car it acts like it tripped the vats system but the light doesn't stay on like it did befor the bypass. Usually takes a few times of removing and inserting the key before it will fire ul.
Now that you by-passed the VATS,if you can put the key into the lock cylinder and it turns then it's not a key or lock cylinder issue.Sounds like the VATS module and or VATS relay may be acting up.More so the relay than the module imo.

Jim
Jimpala95 is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
95DoubleBubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: brooklyn, MD
Posts: 677
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimpala95 View Post
Now that you by-passed the VATS,if you can put the key into the lock cylinder and it turns then it's not a key or lock cylinder issue.Sounds like the VATS module and or VATS relay may be acting up.More so the relay than the module imo.

Jim
How would I go about fixing that? I have discovered that 75% of the time if I turn the key to the on position and wait five seconds to crank it will usually start.

Big Phil, certified lowrider-aholic

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g134/lowriderphil/
95DoubleBubble is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Jimpala95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 587
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95DoubleBubble View Post
I bought my 94 fleetwood in August 2015, that october I bought and installed a vats bypass from ebay. Lately when I go to start the car it acts like it tripped the vats system but the light doesn't stay on like it did befor the bypass. Usually takes a few times of removing and inserting the key before it will fire ul.

Phil,
In re-reading over your original post,almost sounds like it could be another unrelated to the VATS issue? Especially since you say the light does not come on now when you're having the starting issue.
Jim
Jimpala95 is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
95DoubleBubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: brooklyn, MD
Posts: 677
 
Could it have anything to do with the neutral safety switch? My column is old and the shifter does have some play to it, sometimes if I jiggle it around it will start

Big Phil, certified lowrider-aholic

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g134/lowriderphil/
95DoubleBubble is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:02 PM
TGO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 1,693
 
I just went through this last week.

My pass key light was blinking though.

If you want to bypass the vats module completely see his post I made in the pass key/vats thread:

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...5-post210.html

It was a bit of an after thought so that's the best how to I could make.

IDK what kind of module you got off ebay. Do you have a link? Seems most of them are just the resistor trick...it's not a vats bypass it's just a key bypass. The vats module still controls whether or not the car will start...all you're doing is making it think the key is inserted. Apparently the modules like to fail as I found out recently.

NSS could be the culprit as well and so could the ignition switch or the wires leading to it. Apparently those are also a common point of failure. I would think more common than NSS.
TGO is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
95DoubleBubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: brooklyn, MD
Posts: 677
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGO View Post
I just went through this last week.

My pass key light was blinking though.

If you want to bypass the vats module completely see his post I made in the pass key/vats thread:

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...5-post210.html

It was a bit of an after thought so that's the best how to I could make.

IDK what kind of module you got off ebay. Do you have a link? Seems most of them are just the resistor trick...it's not a vats bypass it's just a key bypass. The vats module still controls whether or not the car will start...all you're doing is making it think the key is inserted. Apparently the modules like to fail as I found out recently.

NSS could be the culprit as well and so could the ignition switch or the wires leading to it. Apparently those are also a common point of failure. I would think more common than NSS.
This is the one I used

Vehicle Anti Theft System Vats Bypass Keycode 2 | eBay

I just saw this one, is it the same thing just more money?

Fortin - PASSLOCK-SL2-V2 - GM Passlock And VATS Transponder Key Bypass Module

Big Phil, certified lowrider-aholic

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g134/lowriderphil/
95DoubleBubble is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
95DoubleBubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: brooklyn, MD
Posts: 677
 
I am now kicking myself in the ass for not thking to ask to disable the vats system when I bought my new ecm last week.

Big Phil, certified lowrider-aholic

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g134/lowriderphil/
95DoubleBubble is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome