Turn signal indicators not working - Chevy Impala SS Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
dlc
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 70
 
Turn signal indicators not working

This week my 94 SS instrument cluster has started having problems. The speedometer has been intermittent for a while now but this seem unrelated. Yesterday my speedometer, odometer, and turn signal indicators stopped working. The turn signals still work but not the indicators. All the fuses look good so I'm at a loss. Anyone experienced a similar problem?
dlc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 07:59 AM
Senior Member
 
4DoorSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beautiful Chester County, PA
Posts: 7,973
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlc View Post
This week my 94 SS instrument cluster has started having problems. The speedometer has been intermittent for a while now but this seem unrelated. Yesterday my speedometer, odometer, and turn signal indicators stopped working. The turn signals still work but not the indicators. All the fuses look good so I'm at a loss. Anyone experienced a similar problem?
So if I'm ready this right and the outside signals (bulbs) are working but your not seeing that on the cluster as well as other Cluster Issues, then it seems obvious the problem you are having is solely with the Cluster. At least based on what I'm reading in your description.

Could be a could of issues including the cluster itself. But I believe the Cluster is grounded at the Lower kick panel area and this area is known to cause problems. With all that is not working, it may be worth a shot to check the grounds there, remove them all clean the area and reattach.

It is also you have an issue with the Cluster itself. Loose or Cold Solder joints or maybe just something broken in the circuitry of the Cluster. There are repair services for this type of thing but they can be pricey. Some in that situation may just opt to replace the cluster with another. If interested and you find this to be the case, I do have a Used "Certified" cluster from a 96 9C1 car that I'm parting and the Odometer was at 151K. But maybe you'll find it was something as simple as a bad ground or solder joint.

================================================== =============


'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
4DoorSS is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
dlc
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 70
 
Correct, the turn signals are working properly, just not displaying on the cluster. Everything on the cluster is working (seat belt warning light, air bag light, etc.) except for the middle blue display for the speedo, odo, and turn signal indicators. Would the others be working if the cluster isn't grounded properly? The speedometer and odometer have been intermittent for a while now.
dlc is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
4DoorSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Beautiful Chester County, PA
Posts: 7,973
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlc View Post
Correct, the turn signals are working properly, just not displaying on the cluster. Everything on the cluster is working (seat belt warning light, air bag light, etc.) except for the middle blue display for the speedo, odo, and turn signal indicators. Would the others be working if the cluster isn't grounded properly? The speedometer and odometer have been intermittent for a while now.
OK, so it sounds like the LCD Portion of your cluster is what is completely out. I suspect this will give you a good idea of what to try to fix the issue as I suspect 1 or more of the pins aren't making good contact....

clusfix

On this same site, he also has wiring schematics and depending on your skillset, you could use those to try and track down where the signal lose is.

================================================== =============


'95 Caprice SS conversion - Bonny Buckets - 96 Column, Shifter and Console - 3.73 Gear and Herter tune - Z/28 Cluster - Blazer OH Console - Green/Pink bushings - Chromed Impala Wheels - Eibach Springs and Bilstein Shocks - Corvette Engine Dress - the list goes on and still more to do...it never ends.
4DoorSS is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
dlc
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 70
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorSS View Post
OK, so it sounds like the LCD Portion of your cluster is what is completely out. I suspect this will give you a good idea of what to try to fix the issue as I suspect 1 or more of the pins aren't making good contact....

clusfix

On this same site, he also has wiring schematics and depending on your skillset, you could use those to try and track down where the signal lose is.


Got it, thanks for the info!!
dlc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome