Pete, I asked the same question about a week ago. I'm totally for supporting ISSCA and what they are doing but $80.00 to basically look over the cars one day is a bit much. I'm guessing you probably know this already but here is the answer I got....
If you plan on going and not entering a car it will cost the basic registration which is now $80. To compete in any event you must have a competition license which now is $35.
Mountain Madness - The Rules
Basic Attendance (spectator - not competing)
* For the most part **, attendance at Mountain Madness is limited to ISSCA members who also pay the registration fee.
* ISSCA membership, for those not already members, is $40. per year.
* The basic early registration fee is $70. thru June 30th. This fee goes to $80. on July 1st and to $90. at the gate.
* Base registration covers immediate family (spouse, children, parents, siblings).
* Membership and paid registration are required whether you attend for one day or the entire week.
** Exception - Guests
* Members registered for the Nationals may bring 2 guests who are not ISSCA members.
* Guests of a registered ISSCA member:
o may not be ISSCA members themselves.
o may not be former ISSCA members whose membership has expired in the 12 months prior to the event.
* There is no additional charge for bringing up to 2 adult guests.
* Guests must be identified by name in the ISSCA host members registration.
* Guests must pass through registration at Mountain Madness.
Competition (participants in 1 of the 5 competitions, can include the car show)
* Competition at Mountain Madness is limited to ISSCA members who also pay the registration fee and buy a competition license.
* Competitors pay $25. for the competition license. This fee goes to $35. on July 1st and to $45. at the gate.
* The competition fee covers (up to) 5 of the competitive events. Compete in 1 or compete in 5, it's the same fee.
Perks for registered members:
* full access to Mountain Madness facilities & events
* goody bag
* door prize eligibility
* a ticket to the awards brunch