I just bought a set of custom made rear exit 304 SS OTA pipes from Roger (Palamino on ISSF). 2.5" mandrel bent.
He sold it because it interferes with his class III hitch.
The bend at the end of the driver`s side is to make the exhaust symmetrical. I plan on cutting it off about 20" before the ends and adding the dynomax 24225/24226 resonators. I bought several sets when some guy was selling them for a cent on ebay. I am aware that the exhaust won't be perfectly symmetrical after that. I don't really care.
Now, there's a place in Ottawa -Stebro
- that specializes in custom bending 304SS exhausts. I stopped by Stebro today. Very nice installation. They do a lot of work for high end cars like Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. The guy couldn't believe how long there was after the axle and was impressed with the job that Palamino did. Because the bends are so tight, he can't mandrel bend a single length of pipe into that shape. According to them, there's only one shop in Canada that MIGHT be able to do that. However, they can replicate the pipes in a few segments. He showed me some of their other work and they put so much care into the welds (grinding/polishing) that you can't tell they are there. Everything they had (custom headers, quad exhausts) was impeccable.
I inquired about a GP. The more material he orders, the better the discount he can get from his supplier, and he can pass it on to us. 304 SS is a very expensive material. When Roger mailed the pipes to me, he said someone at the post office overheard the "declared value" and offered to buy the pipes for scrap.
1 pair: $400
5 pairs: $350
10 pairs: $300
That's for TIG welded polished 304SS. Taxes are included and I can deliver to WF or the Nats so no shipping. I make 0 profit on this. I'm getting a set regardless of participation. It takes a few days to make them. There might be some places in the USA that can do the job for a few bucks less, but shipping is prohibitive on these things. The price difference with 409 isn't worth it. It would be maybe 10% less. Aluminized is a no go.
The guy was pretty easygoing... They're going to be hand made so if you want yours cut shorter and flared, so you can clamp on a resonator it's not more expensive. I left them some dynomax resonators so they will know the length. If you want it to go 90deg prior to the end in a "quasi horse-cock" to allow you to use a hitch, it's all good. If you were dead set on getting a side exit OTA kit, and Tim and I can arrange something between WF and the Nats, then the shop can accommodate as well.
Interested members please post and I'll update the list. This is going to be a one shot deal. I'm putting the exhausts on my wagon and will not be removing them to get additional sets remade. If you expressed interest in the longroof forum, don't repost here.
1. 304SS is an expensive material. Don't act indignant because it costs more than the mass-produced mild steel dynomax OTA pipes. Compare the 10 person cost to what is available for wagons and you will find it is a very fair price.
2. I make a grand total of $0 on this. I am paying what you are paying. Don't wait until the very end to express interest.
3. AS IS
, the exhaust won't work with class III hitch, possibly other classes.
4. I'd like to get people in ASAP to get the ball rolling. Say 15 June
============= Interested members =========================
1. Self : rear exit
2. Chevyman (longroof forum): side exit
3. Crovo (pending 10 person price): rear exit
4. Steve H
: side exit
: rear exit
6. Matthimself (pending 10 pers price): rear exit
7. Tim's 95 wagon: stock (horsecock)
8. John P.: stock
9. John P.: stock